Force 50 Fouled Plugs

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
I have a few other posts concerning a seeming lack of speed from my Force 50 on my Capri 1500. I figured I would start a new post since I think I have a specific issue with my motor.

I pulled the plugs on my motor Sunday and they were both covered in an oily, sooty film. I guess they were still firing because they are ngk gapless. The boat starts fine, and runs @ WOT but it struggles to plane and seems to suck a lot of gas. Top speed seems a little low. I've already checked prop, trim, all the usual suspects. I am mixing my oil and gas at 50:1 so I am assuming I either have an overly rich fuel/air mixture or weak spark?

I had the fuel pump and carb rebuilt and cleaned in the spring by a marina so I'm not sure where to start.

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 50 Fouled Plugs

Ok, the more I read about the fuel recirculation system in the Clymer manual, the more it seems to be my problem. They are saying if I am experiencing the following, I may have a problem in the recirculation system:

- Poor acceleration: My boat really seems to struggle to get on plane but acceleration is smooth without missing though
- Spark plug fouling: Both my plugs are covered in an oily, black film
- Stalling or spitting at idle: My motor spits and coughs at idle (I thought it was the idle air mixture screw)
- Excessive smoke on acceleration: Don't know; exhaust is in the water

I am also experiencing higher than normal fuel consumption. Would this be included as a symptom?