The Secret to exhaust bellows installation

xcelr8z28

Seaman Apprentice
I have been battling with this thing for the last 2 weeks, I have cleaned the surfaces I use the adheseive, and I have the expander tool, Everytime I trim the drive to trailor mode the bellows slips off. I've let the adeseive cure for 24 hours. Is there something else I should be doing?? What are the secrets?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: The Secret to exhaust bellows installation

Have to assume this is an Alpha I Gen II outdrive.

First, clean ALL the old glue off the bellows and the bellhousing, and sand the surfaces to rough them up a bit. Then get a can of Mercury Power Tuner spray from your local Merc dealer.
Once you get all the glue off and everything is clean. Spray some power tuner on the bellows and slide it up onto the bellhousing and clamp it down.
Let it set for a while in the down position till it all evaporates and you are ready to go boating.

xcelr8z28

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don this worked great.

haulnazz15

Captain

The secret is to use the exhaust tube instead of the bellows. :D

Tailguner

Seaman

how does the spray help in retaining the bellows?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

how does the spray help in retaining the bellows?

How or why it does it, I have no clue, but it does work. After it's been on for a while, you can tilt the drive up without a clamp and the bellows will stay on. Acts more like a glue after it evaporates/dries for a while. Same with hoses. If you use it on a hose installation, you will hate it when you try to remove the hose the next time. But it sure makes them slide on easy.