lukeabond for the floor ? good idea or bad?

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just got this boat in my pic and it had lukeabond,press wood,on the floor and the press wood was all ready wet why they put that in there i will never know.:confused:but i put the lukeabond back in now how good should this work? it is aluminum plastic aluminum sandwiched together or do i need to go back with some treated plywood and glass it? ok pic did not show its a baretta

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: lukeabond for the floor ? good idea or bad?

" lukeabond,press wood," hmmm might be a regional name?

I call that OSB (Oriented Strand Board) and I would not suggest that for a boat. People have tried it in the past and it requires allot of polyester/epoxy resins to properly seal it.

Someone put that in there because it was cheap and it was a band-aid repair! I would go with an exterior plywood installed the way it is done in many of our restorations

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for the confusion, it had a layer of OSB board(press board) and then a layer of lukabond on the top witch i dont know the proper name of(thats what i have always heard it called)but what i am calling lukabond its a sheet of thin aluminum, plastic, and another sheet of aluminum all together , its the white stuff in the back of the pic of the boat floor. a lot of dog boxs are made out of it if you are filmiller with dog boxs, its light and durable
i took out the OSB and just put back in the lukabond.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's called Alucobond and although it is waterproof In my opinion it does not have the strength to be used for the deck of your boat.

I'm just sayin...:D

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

dont use osb youll be redoing it in about a month.

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thinks for all the info. like i said just got it and new to boat owner ship our first boat was a bust:( and trying to fix this one up right so it will last thanks all