61' fisherman 5.5 carb not quite right

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I took the boat out Saturday after completing a carb overhaul and the results were mixed. Took several pulls to start, had to fiddle with the high speed adjuster (probably common after a rebuild) and it ran better and better as the day went on. The problem is it flooded out on me and took forever to start after the first shutdown, and later took several pulls and did fire up, but seemed to have loaded a bit. The low speed needle is still not staying put, and I have a question on the fuel tank as well. I bought an older but nice looking metal Evinrude tank, but I have had problems before with gas shooting out with a lot of force when first cleaning it, using it etc. whenever it was moved around. I wonder if the tank itself maybe has a problem, say the vent lid. As for the carb I also found traces of fuel coming out of the high speed needle after we got it home. I am close on this motor, suprised how well it pushed our 16' deep v Starcraft with as a kicker motor. I am replacing the packing washers that Sierra sent with OEM ones so I hope this will stop the leakage at the high speed adjustment, and stop the low speed from moving on it's own. The main concerns I have are the tank, and any other suggestions on the flooding. May be the low speed needle, although it did not move much, but maybe enough to cause problems.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 61' fisherman 5.5 carb not quite right

Have you checked the coils on that motor? They might have been the original problem, before you messed with the carburetor. Same as what everybody else does.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

No, the coils were replaced sometime before I bought the motor, along with the points and condensors. All look new and coils are green so I know they are not original . In fact I made the mistake of buying new ones and planned to do a total upgrade with the carb, even though the spark looked good. Just did not pull the flywheel to check ahead of time like I should have. The carb had a rotten and decaying float in it and may have been original from the looks of it inside. I disliked the repair kit I bought (Sierra) but am learning as I go OEM is best on these motors, if available. The low speed adjustment is too loose and won't tighten properly and the high speed one was leaking, although I would say a very small amount. I know these can be flooded by sqeezing the primer too much, and I was just wondering if the tank could be forcing the fuel in too much resulting in mild to heavy flooding. I did install the original float valve and seat back in the carb after I found I could not use the clip required on the newer floats, as mine had nowhere to clip it too as I discussed in another post. However i inspected both and made sure they were sealing well before final installation of carb. Might try to replace these and see if that helps since I have to replace the packing anyway.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Have you checked the coils on that motor? They might have been the original problem, before you messed with the carburetor. Same as what everybody else does.

Well shoot Frank, those coils are just getting broke in:D:D