74# Minn Kota Problem---Stalling??

kskiller

Cadet
Ok,heres the deal.I bought this troller this spring brand new and on the second trip out we broke the shaft and flooded out the electric motor.I tore it down and dried it really good and put it back together with a new shaft.It worked fine for the next few trips but has since been getting worse on every trip about hesitating when you turn the handle.It still works fine just stalls every time you adjust the speed.Its a variable speed motor and and i don't know what to do to fix it.I tore it a part today before we went out to look at the brushes and give them and the armature a good cleaning.It seemed to help at first but by the end of the trip it was back to stalling really bad again.Any ides??? Think if i put new brushes in that would fix it or do you think my armature might be bad or going bad since i got it wet? Thanks for any help guys!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 74# Minn Kota Problem---Stalling??

New brushes probably aren't the issue. If they have most of their length remaining and armature is clean it should run. Since it works ok otherwise, I would look at the speed control and it's wiring. The problem may not be related to soaking the motor.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

That motor has a built in maximizer and I would suspect a component on it is heating up and breaking down. Especially if the brushes and armature is good like ST said.

kskiller

Cadet

Thanks guys.Thats not what i was wanting to here but thanks for the help.LOL!! That means alot more money to get fixed.:(