Fuel Tank install tips needed in Mako

generallee01

Cadet
I just had a new poly coated tank made for my '73 23' Mako after discovering some pinholes in my original. I am ready to reinstall it and just had a few questions. I only removed enough foam to pry it out of the hole, but it still has a formed edge left to hold the tank from shifting. Should I simply plop the tank back in put the coffin cover back on and call it a day? Or is there something I should put down under the tank.....and should I re-foam it in?? I also was curious if I need a "marine" sealant to reseal the coffin cover. Can I just use a good silicone caulk? Should I apply a bead, set the cover in and then apply another bead....or just seal it once the cover is in place? I want to make sure this thing stays dry! Does anyone recommend making a coffin drain back towards the bilge? Thanks guys! -Pat

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank install tips needed in Mako

"poly coated tank "
Poly coated what?

PS sillycone has no real application in a boat, its best for fish tanks.
Its very weak and dirt sticks like stink to it.

A decent method is to apply a good bead of 4200 marine sealant around the joint, spray bead with PAM then cover with saran wrap and set the hatch in place.
After it cures remove the saran and screw the hatch down to seal.
Buy big grease gun size cartridges of 4200 at home depot for cheap.

gss036

Commander

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm
This will tell you how to do an aluminum tank. Never did a plastic one. I don't think I would leave the tank floating loose in the hole. Maybe refoam it. If you do open the fill so the tank can absorb the swelling foam.
Check the store here at IBoats, they sell a marine caulk that I used on my deck of a SeaCraft 23WA. Works real good and doesn't attract dirt and a lot easier to get loose than 4200. I like the idea of PAM and Saran wrap. Will help with clean up.

generallee01

Cadet

its an aluminum exact replica 70 gallon tank of the one that was in there....this 4200 stuff is available at home depot?