mixing primer and top coat

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class
interlux says to mix 50-50 primer and top coat for second coat of primer, has any one tried this and did the job look any better?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: mixing primer and top coat

Which Interlux product is this that your saying ? ...

In Theory..thats not a bad Idea.... I would have to test It out on a panel before full application ;)

YD.

redfury

Commander

one could suppose that doing so would infuse the topcoat into the primer for a better "bite".

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing I do know... Interlux paints are awesome. I totally repainted my 24' Sea Ray about 5 years ago with fabulous results. I followed their instructions to a "T" and never had a lick of problems.

I used a foam roller and an expensive paint brush where the roller wouldn't go and around the tight spots under the rub rail etc. I did two coats of primer sanded in between each coat then a light sand on the first finish coat. Last/finish coat was like glass; looked like it was sprayed on when done. I used one quart of paint, one of primer. Still had some left for touch ups. You'll find touch up is simple too, just a little sand paper and paint. It looks great and blends in real well.

If they say use 50/50 primer and top coat for second app, do it. Questions? See the web site for answers.

redfury

Commander

One thing I do know... Interlux paints are awesome. I totally repainted my 24' Sea Ray about 5 years ago with fabulous results. I followed their instructions to a "T" and never had a lick of problems.
If they say use 50/50 primer and top coat for second app, do it. Questions? See the web site for answers.

Which interlux product did you use? Brightsides or ??