How many blowers and ventilation hoses?

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
For a twin Merc 350's, how many blowers and ventilation hoses do I need?.<br />Also, there is a blower on/off switch installed on the dash and a wiring for one blower is in the bilge already. <br />Is it ok to put 2 blowers in parallel (just pull the wire from existing to the other side of bilge)? <br />Also, different blowers, "inline" , "flange" ... <br />what's better?<br /><br />Thanks.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many blowers and ventilation hoses?

Lenny....2 blowers is better than one if you have twins however by putting the blowers in parallel you are going to double the current required. You have to make sure that everything in the circuit can carry the extra current right from the switch, fuse/bkr and the guage of the wire.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently bought a 4" inline Rule blower. Moves a lot of air. You should mount it inline, though--I have it at the outer wall of the engine compartment, and it's pretty noisy.

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For twins I would recommend 2 blowers, each drawing from below the engines. Ideally this set up should also have a minimum of 2 inlets with tubing down into the bilge. <br /><br />The setup on my boat with twin 454's has 2 blowers and 2 static vent hoses with 4 inlets with hoses to the bildge. This setup is for a large engine compartment on a 36' with a 13' beam.