Broke my livewell pump.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took my pontoon out for the year yesterday. My livewell pump was hanging off the back so I stuck it up out of the way and took the boat in to be wrapped up and put away. I'll put one on in the spring. What I forgot to check was how big a pump to buy. The boats up north and I'm not. I've looked at bilge pumps fron 500 gph to 1250. Pretty sure I don't need a 1250 gph pump for a livewell. I like the way my well fills now. Pretty fast. Sometimes I don't turn the pump on until we get a fish to keep.

Just thought I'd ask. Anyone replaced their pump? Any brand you guys like? 500 or maybe 750 gph big enough? Appreciate any thoughts. You guys know everything:p
Mike

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Broke my livewell pump.

500 is the most common but since you don't know for sure go with the 750 to be safe.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Generally 500 is used but a 750 would be fine too, sure would fill it fast.

I have used Mayfair and Rule, both seem to be pretty good, I have a Mayfair 500 as my recirculator pump and have left it run on the timer(3 minutes off-run for 1 1/2 minutes) for 2 weeks before with no problems, it has been in the boat for 3 years now.

sasto

Captain

Is this an externally mounted livewell pump mounted on transom?

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a submersible pump (more like a bilge pump than the livewell pump I had in my fishing boat) mounted to an open metal box welded to the back of one of my pontoons. My depth finder transducer is also mounted to this box.

I'm looking at both the Rule and the Mayfair on the Cabelas web site. Think I'll stop in and see if I can look at both. See how each is mounted. Pretty sure either one will do the job. I think I will go with the 500gph. Thats the way I was leaning and I appreciate your replys.
Mike

sasto

Captain

I use a 500ghp on a dockside baitwell that is 40 gals. Theoretically that would change the tank water about 10 times an hour. You should do well with just the 500.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Must be one hellova big live well. We've just used coolers and an aquarium pump.:redface:

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to big. It's an "under the seat" livewell. About 12 gal. This pump is also used to fill the livewell. It has to lift water 3 or 4 feet from the lake. I don't think an aquarium pump would do the job. It also has to replace the water in a reasonable lenght of time. I'm not talking about a couple doz. crappie minnows. We've had 20+ nice size bluegills in there a number of times and stay out 5 hours or more quite often. They can use up the oxygen and fill the water with ammoina and fish puke in no time. I like to keep my fish healthy because we will some times cull some of the smaller (or largest) fish if we have more then we need.

Anyway, stopped at Gander Mtn. yesterday to look at pumps and bought a 500gph Mayfair. They had 500 and 750's. Only had replacement cartridges for the 750. I asked the young guy in that department if they were going to have replacements for the 500 and he said they only stock the 750' because they sell twice as many and.......the 750 cartridge will fit either pump. They do look exactly the same. Ok, I'll get the 500 and if I think I need more volume I'll pick up a 750 cartridge. Save the 500 for a backup. If it doesn't fit I'll go back and slap the salesman:p
Thanks for the replys.
Mike