1989 Johnson 200 HP timer base test

SparkieBoat

Captain
The reason I am removing the flywheel is to check the magnets/timer base. I have replaced the regulator (CDI), then the motor ran fine for a while, then one side of my power pack quit, after getting proper DVA voltage from the brown stator wires I purchased a new CDI power pack, after installing the new pp I now have no fire at all on either side, I have disconnected both kill wires at pp, disconnected the yellow wires, still no spark.. and have 20 DVA on the orange wires. The black/white wire going to the timer base on the 2nd connector has 8V. I have done every test listed in the CDI troubleshooting guide, and the white wire to the purple, blue and green wires shows nothing. I just want a way to make positively sure it is my timer base before ordering a $300 new one.
My stator does have some leakage, I believe it was a result of the old regulator, but it test out perfectly 180-200 DVA on both brown wire sets.
any ideas on how to be sure???? Thanks

bassrod

Recruit
Re: 1989 Johnson 200 HP timer base test

here is a good way to check your timer base resistance (ohms). white wire port side to purple,then to blue and then to green should be typical 1M to 5M.
starboard side white/black to purple, then to blue, and then to green should be typical 1M to 5M. different ohmmeters may be a little different but this is what the readings should be.also read from the white wire to the white/balck wire reading should be 200 to 260 ohms for V6 motors.be sure to check for grounded timer leads. find a good ground on the engine and test for continuity between any lead, if you have continuity the coil is probably bad.