Johnson 60 hp rev limiting problem

bigfoot30

Recruit
I have a Johnson 60hp 1990 outboard. When i get to quarter throttle its like a rev limiter cuts in and the motor cut in and out. I put a rpm gauge on and it starts screwing up at approximately 3000rpm. Here's the list of things i have tried - cleaned carbs 5 times, compression test, tested and replaced stator, new ignition coils, new power pack, new spark plug wires, new top crank seal, set the timing, tested fuel pump, drop down test, took bottom leg off checked bottom crank seal, new plugs of course, checked wiring harness--- if anyone has an idea for me to try next please let me know Thanks

beverly

Seaman
Re: Johnson 60 hp rev limiting problem

air getting in the fuel. Attach a clear line from pump to carb to watch it go by.

bigfoot30

Recruit

I also took the line right off the carb and hooked it straight the the hose from the tank and used the primer bulb for a pump, and still same problem. so no air problem

petryshyn

Commander

have you checked the timer base? have you verified a spark problem by connecting a timing light to each cylinder, one at a time, to see if you have intermittent spark at 3000 rpm?

bigfoot30

Recruit

Oh ya i also replaced the timer base, , i also checked it with a timing light on each cylinder and the spark looks correct

petryshyn

Commander

did you try disconnecting the temp sensor?

bigfoot30

Recruit

yep i shut it down and disconnected it fired it and still same, i made sure the tan color wires are back from the spark plugs and wires because i was told it could affect it. i don't know if this motor has s.l.o.w. built on to it or not or even how i can tell, the stator and power pack r new, all coils have been changed with new ones, timing is set to 17 degrees,??????????