12V set up on your inflatable?

livendive

Seaman Apprentice
So I've got a little electric trolling motor and a new-ish battery to run it, but I'm not sure how safe it is to have a bunch of sulfuric acid & potential sparks on board an inflatable. Those of you who use such things, how do you secure things to reduce water on the battery, wires from being a tripping hazard, etc? Do you worry about acid damage?

Also, how do people set up lights for running between anchor and shore at night?

NorthernPike

Cadet
Re: 12V set up on your inflatable?

A battery with gelled electrolyte won't leak. They use them in electric wheelchairs and forklifts.

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 12V set up on your inflatable?

You can buy a plastic battery box at Pep Boys or Auto Zone. These come with lids and will keep the battery from getting splashed, they're pretty cheap too. I use a plactic dry box from West Marine. My set up only uses a couple of small 12 volt 14amphour batteries in parrellel for bait pump and fish finder. I installed 2 stainless bolts through it that are internally connected to the batteries and all my accessories have insulated aligator clips that I just clip on when needed. My biggest power consuming device is spotlight though.