87 Toyota starter, grinding

ezbtr

Commander
only 120K on car, i think I just need to clean starter up, anyone done this? I get a grind once in a great while, like Bendix spring isn't engaging.
I really don't think it's worn out at this point.
Thanks

and I'm having a heck of a time finding rebuild kit and replacement cooling system hoses...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 87 Toyota starter, grinding

Is It a manual trans?sometimes dust from the clutch can gum up the bendix,or a leaking rear main seal can allow oil to get on it attracting more dust/dirt.120k or 23 yrs is alot for a starter if its original.you should see signs of oil leaking on the bottom of the bellhousing or inspection cover though.Or it could be a broken tooth on the flywheel/flex plate hence the once in a while, happens when engine stops with the broke tooth at the starter.

Last edited:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the starter off and bench test it. I bet you'll find the flywheel is worn/damaged. My Grandmother had a 89 Camry that did this. She was hard of hearing and started it multiple times while it was running....lol.

The good news is, its a lot easier job to replace than you might think.

dolluper

Captain

Pull the cover off and hit the bendix shaft with some light oil 2 or 3 drops is fine 3in 1 oil or trannie oil....with the cover off you will see anyways...bet r than the chair