4 or 2 stroke

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a 9.9 mercury and was told it was a 4 stroke but I can not find an oil dip stick or fill or even the drain plug the serial# OG168735 I also can not find the year on the maxrules site can anyone help me with the year and what type engine it is I need to buy a manual so I need this info first Thanks Bob

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4 or 2 stroke

If it really is a 1995 model then it appears to me to be a two stroke. I'll explain how I came to that conclusion. I use Crowley Marine A LOT for parts and reference information. On their site, I looked up the 1995 Mercury 9.9 models by serial number. Your serial range is listed against the two stroke models, not against the four strokes. Additionally, if you look at the exploded views the four stroke models list parts for the oil pump whereas the views for your engine do not. I understand this may not be a definitive answer, but all the indicators point toward yours being a two stroke.

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it is a 2 stroke and it is a 1995 i was told it was a 4 stroke but what the heck it starts first pull anyway and the price was right THANKS GUYS

Fun Times

Staff member

I need to buy a manual so I need this info first Thanks Bob
The mercury part number to the service manual for your engine is going to be 90-827242R02. It'll cover the 6/8/9.9/10/15 HP's. MSRP: $74.95.:)

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys it is a 2stroke and she running on just one pull and I will order the repair manual I have to add mit a real shop manual blows the cheap ones out of the water again guys Thanks for all your help

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I hope the clown that sold it to you didn't treat it like a four stroke, never adding oil to the gas.