2002 yamaha 250hp ox66 shuts down at wot

mikep6

Cadet
motor dies like you turned key switch off? i have checked high pressure fuel pump when it would die the fuel pressure droped to 0# but still had fire to the pump so i bought a new high pres pump worked good first time took it out 2nd time same thing always starts back up after it dies will run all day at 50mph but between 57 and 72mph chugs 2 times and like you turned the switch off no signs of fuel leaking from low pres pumps and the fuel fielter on the motor is clear and 3/4 full help please

quo_vadis

Recruit
Re: 2002 yamaha 250hp ox66 shuts down at wot

did you check your low pressure fuel pumps? In my case this was root of similar problem (150 HP OX66). I opened and disassembled 1st and it was fine but the second membrane on the second pump was defective

nickmo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are 3 low pressure fuel pumps on your motor. If they haven't been changed in a while, (3-4 years) replace them. They run about $50.00 each. Much less than a high pressure pump. There's also a filter in the VST that needs to be cleaned or replaced periodically. I do mine once a year. My guess would be one or both of the above is causing the problem.

mikep6

Cadet

I ordered 3 fuel pumps from boat.net should get here next week seems like no one here keeps them in stock i did notice today when i loaded my boat that it looked like a rainbo on the water i mean it was even running down the ramp thanks for the help i try them next week and thanks again for all the help