15 hp johnson

15johnson

Recruit
I have a 1983 johnson 15 hp seahorse shortshaft. I am experiencing problems with the throttle mechanism. the handle will rotate but it is not advancing the throttle down inside the case on the left side where the shaft enters the case something is slipping. If I apply a small amount of pressure it will increase rpm slightly, and it will lock the shifter, enough that I have to rotate it back in order to shift it. does anyone have a blowup veiw of the thottle linkages so I can figure out where the slippage is occuring? Thanks for the support 15johnson.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 15 hp johnson

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html

Hard to say from here what is slipping. You can make some washers to tighten up the linkage but I think they were probably pretty sloppy right out of the factory on the 15 and 9.9's. I think in 87 and up they have a cable throttle which must perform better that the gear drives. This link I'm sending is, I feel, a must read for anyone with a 9.9 or 15. Best of luck. Rick.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Look at the mesh where the handle folds, make sure the teeth are in good shape, they wear and start to slip- expensive to fix if you buy new parts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

make sure the timing plate is not jambed, also the neutral rod is dropping all the way down, clearing the timing plate.