My Engine is Mounted .5 inch to starbord

sonic5208

Cadet
New to the forum so thanks for the replys in advance. I just purchased this boat and it is a 16ft fishing boat with a 70hp evinrude. The engin is mounted .5 inches off to the right. looks like it has always been this way. Is this normal or should i try to straghten.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: My Engine is Mounted .5 inch to starbord

Welcome aboard sonic!!

I deleted the other thread. No biggee but here is the right place.

Boats are not perfect by any stretch, and they are also not necessarily symmetrical in that the propeller only turns one direction, making the boat twist the other. That does not mean that 1/2 inch to starboard is good, but who knows? Maybe a 1/2 inch to port would be good. I'd try moving it around and see what happens. Might be really good where it is, but you won't know until you try it.

Good luck!!

If the boat handles ok it's nothing. I'm not sure but it might be mounted like that by design to offset prop effect, that would be the correct direction to offset for that reason.

BTW, who the heck has time to go around measuring every nook and crannie of their boat? :D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I think the key would be:

1. Have you had it on the water yet?

2. How did it handle?

The PO owner may have played a bit to get handling right, or it could be by design, but I would say a 1/2" is nothing to worry about.

sonic5208

Cadet

Thanks again everyone. I did have it on the water and it seemed to be angling to the right with just me in it but it's a light boat so i figured it was weight distribution.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I wouldn't go drillin' new holes for 1/2".

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

A lot of boats are not quite symmetrical. The transom MAY be a little off, so the engine may APPEAR to be offset. The test is to look at the engine leg at the cavitation plate and see if it is centered in the bottom of the hull or centered in the vee if it is a deep vee hull. If the engine is sitting flat on the transom, the only real important measurement is if the leg is centered--or relatively centered. 1/2 inch offset is not a lot and probably would not be noticeable.

See that 1971 Glastron in the avatar? The engine splashwell well is set one inch different from each side. SO, in order to set the leg correctly, the engine clamps appear to be offset on inch on the transom, but the engine really is centered on the hull.