1956 Evinrude Lark Lives but some oil residue?

rsavage

Cadet
Put points, condensers, plugs, carb rebuild with new float, impeller, gearcase seals (just spaghetti and output shaft) and the old gal runs great! After running on a stand in a barrel, I emptied and removed the barrel and noticed that there was some oil and water draining out of the intake screen area. Didn't look like/smell like gear oil and no water drained out when I checked by removing the gearcase drain screw. Was this oil from the exhaust output? I was idling it and running it at the fast throttle setting while adjusting the jets (total run time about 15-20 minutes and it was pretty smoky at times. Normal residue or do I need to do more with seals? I am running it at 24:1 with TCW-3 oil. Any opinions?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1956 Evinrude Lark Lives but some oil residue?

If you didn't see any water or milky oil in your lower unit when you pulled the drain plug on the lower unit, it's not leaking. It's probably just exhaust crud, which they all make.
24:1 is the correct mixture.
Sounds like you've got a nice motor! Yes, they're a little smoky, but not a problem on the lake and it kills 'skeeters.:)
JBJ

rsavage

Cadet

Thanks much for the help. Now I can paint it up and put it on the Lyman. Anyone know the Duplicolor colors that are close to the charcoal and light grays on the Lark? I have another blue '56 Evinrude 30 wihpth a tiller handle that I am going to work on next. It is an electric start 25924. I like these old motors. They are like my old trucks - simple enough that I can work on them.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks much for the help. Now I can paint it up and put it on the Lyman. Anyone know the Duplicolor colors that are close to the charcoal and light grays on the Lark? I have another blue '56 Evinrude 30 wihpth a tiller handle that I am going to work on next. It is an electric start 25924. I like these old motors. They are like my old trucks - simple enough that I can work on them.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but aomci.org had a few really nifty threads about duplicolor paint colors that match fairly closely. Maybe you can find it with the search thingy on there. If you like these old motors, you should check out that site if you haven't already. I like 'em too.:)
JBJ