Winterizing- How to get antifreeze in 3.0l?

MrDumb

Seaman
I am going to winterize my 3.0l OMC cobra for the first time this weekend. I was wondering the best way to go about to get antifreeze back in my block after I fog my engine and drain the block? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing- How to get antifreeze in 3.0l?

We just finished a Volvo 4.3. Same type of issue. <br /><br />We ran the motor until warm and then replaced the water hose with one running to a gallon jug of RV antifreeze. One held the jug above the stern while the motor was ran at idle. We got good returns of RV antifreeze. When the jug ran dry, we shut down. ( At the same time we sprayed the fogging oil into the carb) After we shut down, we pulled all four brass drain plugs and got good antifreeze from each. We then changed the oil and sprayed fogging oil in the cylinders. Greased the outdrive and called it good.

MrDumb

Seaman

How long did you have until you sucked the gallon of antifreeze out the jug? Or did you keep adding antifreeze to the jug? Thnx

ndemge

Commander

My winterizing method:<br />(takes 2 people)<br /><br />Warm up engine on muffs and hose.<br /><br />Once warmed up. Shut down.<br />Drain Manifolds/hoses<br />take 5 gallon bucket of cheap rv antifreeze.(non toxic)<br />Drop utility pump into bucket, with 6' hose now connected to the muffs.<br /><br />the second I crank the motor, person 2 turns on the pump.<br /><br />once 5 gallons gone, I fog engine and shut down.<br /><br />re-drain mainfolds/hoses<br /><br />Pull battery and sit in garage on batteryTender<br /><br />Done.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You all forgot 1 important thing.Before you start any winterizing,CHANGE THE OIL FIRST.Fresh oil will be everywhere if you change the oil first.This is a very important step in winterizing that most do in the wrong order.You must run fresh oil through the entire motor to do it right.Draining and filling is not good enough.Charlie

ndemge

Commander

good point crazy charlie... forgot about the oil.<br /><br />....had a tune up only 2 tanks of gas ago, so changing the oil on mine next year.<br /><br />(I run about 5-6 tanks of fuel a year right now)

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Don't forget to fill the fuel tank and add Stabil to it (before you fill it of course).

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here's how i do my 3.0 cobra. <br />1. drain the lower unit & add fresh gear lube. the 3.0 takes approx. 2 qts.<br />2.start the engine with muffs attached & add fuel conditioner to the fuel tank. let the engine run for a few minutes to allow the conditioner to be distributed thru the fuel lines etc.<br />3. fog the engine. remove the flame arrestor & with the engine still running & at idle speed, spray the oil down the carb till the engine stalls. remove the spark plugs & spray some oil into the plug holes. u can also use regular motor oil for this purpose. remove the coil wire so the engine can't start & turn the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder walls with the oil.<br />4. ok, you're ready to winterize the engine. remove the drain plugs. there's 1 each for the engine block & manifold. make sure the boat is level so all of the water drains out. take a coat hanger or piece of wire & shove it in the drain holes to remove any rust, sand which can block the drain holes. tighten the plugs after they completely drain. remove the large hose that goes from the engine water pump & t-stat housing. let it drain. after it drains, reconnect the bottom half only for now. remove the small hose from the t- stat housing. it's right above the larger one. let it drain & leave it off for now. go to the lower unit. on the port side there is a small drain plug. remove the plug & let it drain. this drains the pick up pump. u may have to raise the lower unit to get it to drain completely. pull the coil wire again & turn the engine over to purge any water remaining in the pump. after it drains replace the plug. remove the small hose from the t- stat housing to the manifold. it's a tight fit, but i only remove the end that connects to the stat housing. <br />5. now you're ready to add the antifreeze. forget the bucket method. mix up a 50-50 mixture of water & antifreeze. get a funnel, & fill the manifold thru the small hose till it runs out the hose. reattach the hose. do the same to the large hose that i mentioned earlier. reattach that hose also. now fill the small hose from the t- stat housing. watch the lower unit. when u see the mixture come out the pee hole, stop filling. reattach that hose. clean up any spills & yer done!<br />6. here's a couple other things i do when i winterize. remove the flame arrestor, & cover the carb with a plastic baggie that completely covers it to keep moisture out of the carb. tape it down with duct tape. also tape over the hose that attaches to the valve cover. tape over the intakes on the lower unit with duct tape, to keep ice etc. out. it makes a mess when u remove it in the spring, but u can clean it up with mineral spirits. <br />7. make sure there's no water in the bilge. use a shop vac or a sponge to remove any water.<br />8. remove the drain plug, & raise the bow so any water that gets in can drain out.<br />8. leave the lower unit completely down so the bellows don't take a set.<br />9. pull the battery.<br />10. grease the gimbal bearing.<br />11. put some mothballs in a container to keep rodents away.<br />11. vacuum the carpet with a shop vac if's wet.<br />12. clean the seats etc. with armor all or something similiar to help protect them from the elements.<br />13. get a good winter cover {very important} & tie it down well to protect you're investment from the winter elements.<br />14. go the the store. pick up a six- pack & congratulate yourself on the fine job u did. not to mention the fact that u saved youself a couple hundred $$$$ by doing it yourself.<br />i've been doing it this way for over 10 yrs. & never had a problem, so don't sweat it. i didn't mention changing the oil, 'cause u already knew that. good luck.

MrDumb

Seaman

Thank you all for your much needed guidence, I will let you all know how it goes after this weekend. This is a great forum to be a part of! :)

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have taken some of the points and made a winterize list. Look at this and see what you think. Credit goes to Crazy Charlie and sea Wolf.<br /><br /> Winterize Instructions

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

u forgot #14. :D

MrDumb

Seaman

Looks good NC. I appreciate everyones help! I finished the winterization this weekend. Looks like I get to started on replacing some bad carpet on my trailer bunks now! Man this sucks that it is already over. I cant wait till this next spring. :cool:

DBenja4148

Cadet

Gentlemen!<br />I own a 2003 Chaparral w/ Volvo EFI 5.7. The engine already has a flushout system incorporated as a part of the engine. Question? I can add the antifreeze after warming up the engine but I must wait to add the antifreeze until the thermastat opens up or the A/F won't go to the engine block or manifolds. How can you tell when the thermastat opens? Thanks for your advice.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 140 I can tell when the t-stat opens two ways--the temperature gauge stops moving upward (stops at 137 degF at idle), and the hose from the t-stat housing to the manifold becomes warm.<br /><br />Steve