gimbal bearing problem

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mercruiser I/O and the gimbal bearing went bad. Real bad. The inside race and bearing all fell out and the only thing left is the outside race. Anybody got any tricks to get this out or is the only way to pull the motor and drive it out from inside? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimbal bearing problem

If the outer race is in there, a 2 or 3 jaw standard gear puller.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I have a mercruiser I/O and the gimbal bearing went bad. Real bad. The inside race and bearing all fell out and the only thing left is the outside race. Anybody got any tricks to get this out or is the only way to pull the motor and drive it out from inside? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

The gimble bearing/race both come out the back side. (you will be standing outside of the boat at the stern) No need to pull the engine. Do a search for gimble bearing removal.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'm thinkin' the Race is gone, 'n it's just the spacer block....
Don't remember how much bite there is behind that....

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

its a hardened race but a dremel will work if you grind a slot through it on both sides cutting it theoretically in half.wear safety glasses.will take a while but patience will bear results.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I don't know if the race is the correct terminoligy for the part remaining. It's the outer most ring of the bearing. You can't use a standard puller because of the hole in the center theres nothing for the center bolt to contact. I think cutting it would take forever and may damage something else theres a seal and a seat behind the ring. There is a very edge remaining behind it to get a grip on. I have a slide hammer that would work if the bearing was intact but it won't open wide enough to take out the remaining piece. Maybe some sort of special puller?