Year and Model Questions

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Starcraft pro's!

I have a few questions. I have been running through this forum, the brochures, the build and remodel threads, etc. and cannot seem to find a boat that matches the one i currently have.

My FIL actually owns the boat(but he works out of town), and it was given to him by his father. He never told me a year, or model, or anything like that but i would like to look up more info or at least know what i'm dealing with.

-Aluminum riveted hull
-18'
-I/O Mercruiser 120(not completely sure on the HP)
-Closed bow
-Walk through windsheild, opens in the middle
-gas tank up front, filler opening is on the port side by the windsheild
-Came with bucket captains chair as well as chairs that fit beside the motor(thought this might help, because most of the boats i see have those lay down double sided type chairs)

Anyone have any idea of a model or year? Any other physical information you need that would help? I'm leaning towards American...but really have no clue.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Year and Model Questions

Welcome aboard!
Have you had a chance to "walk" through this thread of brochures?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830

Take your time, you may find the model.

When you say "walk through windshield", do you mean you can actually walk through an INTO the bow as in to sit? The bow is open or closed basically is the question.

Also a Merc 120 is just that, 120 hp..4 cyl GM block. Very common and loved by all...errrrrrr most :D

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard!
Have you had a chance to "walk" through this thread of brochures?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830

Take your time, you may find the model.

When you say "walk through windshield", do you mean you can actually walk through an INTO the bow as in to sit? The bow is open or closed basically is the question.

Also a Merc 120 is just that, 120 hp..4 cyl GM block. Very common and loved by all...errrrrrr most :D

It is a closed bow, but the window is in 3 sections and the middle section hinges out of the way so you can walk out onto the bow. But it is not an open bow boat, the fuel tank of the vessel is inside the bow.

I looked through all of the brochures in that thread. The closest i could find was the american models. Even then they don't quite match. It may be newer than most of those.

What i meant by the 'not sure of the hp' was that i don't remember if it says 120 on there or if it says 110. The number escapes me but 120 is what comes to mind.

Got the Hull ID, but can't seem to find any directories or ID decoders...

STR L0811 0883-A4

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

18' closed bow, sounds like a holiday 18 to me. ????

the 110 and 120 are same basic motor (Chevy II engine, AKA front 2/3 of Chevy "stovebolt" six used for the Mercruiser 165), Murk just found a few more hp. later versions are bored/stroked to 3.0 liters and make 140hp.

your windshield suggests something from mid 60s on.

did you see the Tarantino movie From Dusk til Dawn? then you have some idea of how, um, insistent the demands for pics will get soon.....plus we can help you a lot more with pics. pics of hull, esp at stern and from below, would be very helpful....there are experts here (not me!)who can tell you a lot about model from hull contour

BTW, welcome!

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

18' closed bow, sounds like a holiday 18 to me. ????

the 110 and 120 are same basic motor (Chevy II engine, AKA front 2/3 of Chevy "stovebolt" six used for the Mercruiser 165), Murk just found a few more hp. later versions are bored/stroked to 3.0 liters and make 140hp.

your windshield suggests something from mid 60s on.

did you see the Tarantino movie From Dusk til Dawn? then you have some idea of how, um, insistent the demands for pics will get soon.....plus we can help you a lot more with pics. pics of hull, esp at stern and from below, would be very helpful....there are experts here (not me!)who can tell you a lot about model from hull contour

BTW, welcome!

Thanks!

The boat is currently in a barn. I need to get it out, wash it down, and take some pics.

The floor needs to be replaced as it soft right by the rectangle hole where the storage was.

The vinyl on the dash, motor cover, and well most of the vinyl really needs to be replaced. Depending on how much disposable income i'm looking at this next summer i may definitely replace the floor and possibly replace some of the other bits as well.

Could i email the hull ID to Starcraft and see if they could give me any information?

North Beach

Commander

E,
Take a pic of the inside(standing at stern facing towards windshield) and stern of the boat and we can probably tell you exactly what it is. If it's a 60's model, Starcraft won't be able to help you with ID. Also, near the stern on the gunwale, or near the steering/controls may be an id tag with the info you seek.

Those pics really reveal a lot of info. Starcraft ususally only did one color per model per year. And the back of the boat tells us the hull type ie: SemiV DeepV etc.

Snap a couple pics we don't care if it's dirty or falling apart. Most of the boats on this forum started off that way!

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snap a couple pics we don't care if it's dirty or falling apart. Most of the boats on this forum started off that way!

and some of our boats STILL look that way......:redface:

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I might be able to run out and grab those photo's tonight.

Depends on how bad i want to finish the work i have going on the house.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to get pictures, but i got busy and wasn't able to up load them.

I read the weight label closely and it says 'Model HY-181' OR it's 'HY-18I' WHich i assume means Holiday 18' inboard/outdrive

So i'm going to assume it's a Holiday...i still don't know the year.

I'll get he pics up tonight probably. Man that thing is dirty.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You'll be surprised how easy these boats are to clean up and get into shape.

Looking forward to some photos:D

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll be surprised how easy these boats are to clean up and get into shape.

Looking forward to some photos:D

I've been looking through all the build threads getting ideas and learning as much as i can.

I also bought a Ranger Bass Boat so i now have two projects. At least the bass boat doesn't have much wrong with it. Maybe a carb rebuild motor tune up, but thats it. Everything else is solid.

The starcraft, well, honestly i think it just needs a good wipe down, a new impeller, tune up, and floor.

Then i have a fishing boat, and a runabout in good condition.