Mercury outboard 100hp?

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got my hands on this 100hp inline 6 Mercury.
I've tried looking for the model number but couldn't locate one.
Does anyone have any idea what year and model number this OB is.I have included pictures.

Does anyone know where I can find the model number?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mercury outboard 100hp?

Mercs do not use model numbers they use serial numbers. It should be on a plate mounted on the transom mount. If it is gone look for a welsh plug on the motor with the number stamped in it.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercs do not use model numbers they use serial numbers. It should be on a plate mounted on the transom mount. If it is gone look for a welsh plug on the motor with the number stamped in it.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure what a welsh plug is ( sorry still a noobie ).
Do you happen to know the area of the engine I can find this welsh plug?

emckelvy

Commander

These old Mercs don't use Welch plugs. There may be a portion of the block on the Stbd side which is machined flat and has a serial # on it. Otherwise it'll just be on the serial # plate attached to the transom bracket, staring at you when you're facing the motor clamping thumbscrews.

However, from the pics it would appear you've got a circa-'64 Merc 1000, good ol' motor. The dual-point distributor is a bit tricky to set up but they do run nice when tuned properly.

There's a wealth of info here at the forum, just use the Search feature. Recommend you pick up a service manual if, after you do preliminary checks to see if it's worth working on (such as a compression check), you decide she's worth fixing up.

This site has a wealth of info on Old Mercs, including wiring diagrams, pictures, parts, special tool info, and tuning/repair references:

www.maxrules.com

Here's another site to check out:

www.oldmercs.com

HTH and have fun with your "new" Merc!.............ed

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the help and advice.
I will be checking the compression and will see if it'sworth fixing.
If not I guess I'll sell it for parts.
$100 sounds fair?
Comes with controls and steering wheel brackets and cables.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

looking at the picture it is most likely a 1963, possibly a 1964 with a very slight chance of 1965. A 1962 would not have the water intake on the sides of the gearcase.