Pitot Speed Tube? Retube?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a pitot that's hooked to a wire in the boat. I don't think the boat still has that wire that connects to the 'airguide' speedometer. Where can I purchase just the new tubing? Is it difficult or will it work to retube?

Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pitot Speed Tube? Retube?

It only takes a few minutes to replace. Follow the tube from pitot to gauge and disconnect any cable ties. If it goes thru a cable tray under the gunnel tie one ond of the new tube to the end of the old and pull the new one through. Cut it to length, tie the new tube back up and connect the ends. Be prepared to maybe have to buy a new pitot tube since they often get damaged.

The "wire" you spoke about is probably from something else. Airguide speedometers only have a rubber tube.

I replaced the tube on my 1952 boat a few years ago and she works perfect again.

You can buy the tubing here, but its in a bulk roll. You might try a local marina first. Mine sold it by the foot.

http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-Pito...55492264--**********.252377015--view_id.40249

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It only takes a few minutes to replace. Follow the tube from pitot to gauge and disconnect any cable ties. If it goes thru a cable tray under the gunnel tie one ond of the new tube to the end of the old and pull the new one through. Cut it to length, tie the new tube back up and connect the ends. Be prepared to maybe have to buy a new pitot tube since they often get damaged.

The "wire" you spoke about is probably from something else. Airguide speedometers only have a rubber tube.

I replaced the tube on my 1952 boat a few years ago and she works perfect again.

You can buy the tubing here, but its in a bulk roll. You might try a local marina first. Mine sold it by the foot.

http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-Pito...55492264--**********.252377015--view_id.40249

This helps so much, thank you! I'm going to try to replace this.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought...if you have to use the old tube to pull new tube through place you can't reach, go ahead and pull a piece of stout string along with the new tube. If you ever need to run a new wire for anything like new speakers, depth finder transducer, etc., you will have a pull string already in place. When pulling something new, pull another pull string through to replace the other one.

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as an electrician we do just like you say, alot. pull a string in case of needing new wires in the future.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

as an electrician we do just like you say, alot. pull a string in case of needing new wires in the future.

I work in IT and have pulled a lot of ethernet network cable...a pull string can be a life saver :)

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

You can get the tubing at Lowes or Home Depot also....the speedo is not powered by electric...just the light is....if your tube is connected to a wire just place it on the connection on the speedo....

You can buy a hole new pitot and tube hose for around 15.00

also in another post u want to install a fish finder...if so get one with the speed wheel on it.....or use a hand held GPS to tell the most accurate speed....

Al

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Just a thought...if you have to use the old tube to pull new tube through place you can't reach, go ahead and pull a piece of stout string along with the new tube. If you ever need to run a new wire for anything like new speakers, depth finder transducer, etc., you will have a pull string already in place. When pulling something new, pull another pull string through to replace the other one.

A plumber's snake works just fine if you are starting from scratch.