1983 175 Johnson

Ratboy14

Cadet
I just got a boat with a 1983 175 HP Johnson outboard and it needs a bit of cleaning but I was looking at the engine and wondering do I just mix the oil right into the built in gas tank? All the outboards I had were portable tanks but this one is not. It does not have oil injection that I can see unless it has a hidden tank somewhere. And what is the mix exactly, 50:1?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 175 Johnson

50:1 is right and you don't have oil injection.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

What he said.

There's been some give and take about how readily the TCW3 oil mixes in the tank. Stories about people filling the tank, then just dumping a lot of oil in afterward and expecting it to mix magically - and it settles to the bottom and can get sucked up by the fuel pick up before it gets a chance to mix well.

Some say it just mixes, don't worry about it.

What I always did is pour the oil in an empty tank and pump the gas, splashing it around to mix it up. Or if the tank was partially full to begin with, I poured the oil in along with the flow of the first couple of gallons of gas as I was pumping it in to get it mixed up.

Some people premix a small can of gas with all the oil they need (in other words, it would be very concentrated, but mixed), put it in the tank and then fill the tank with raw gas to get the proper mix.

You can buy containers that have ready to go markings for how much oil is needed for various amounts of 50:1 mix.

It's really not a big deal, but I prefer VRO because it's better and more reliable than me, and much more efficient.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

^^^ Agree. Before I had boats with oil injection, I made a mixing funnel, that would gradually introduce oil as gas was being pumped. I never felt really comfortable just dumping the oil into the tank. An alternative would be to mix oil in a separate container with a few gallons of gas, shake it to mix, then dump that in for better dispersal of the oil.

Oil injection is way better than trying to remember to put the correct amount of oil in every time.

Ratboy14

Cadet

Yea I was thinking about mixing it in a very concentrated amount like D.boat said. I hate mixing the oil because I always think I don't have enough. But thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

every owner of a 2 cycle engine, should have one of these:

http://www.iboats.com/2-Cycle-Oil-M...52433943--**********.941886572--view_id.56142

Before fueling, calculate how much fuel you need. then using the bottle, add the oil to the tank. fill until you reach the amount you calculated. if not full, then recalculate. if you have added oil and full before the calculation, it is just more love for your motor. an ounce or 2 off extra oil will hurt nothing. excessive is better than not enough.