1966 johnson seahorse 100 hp carb!!

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice
hi all,

My brother has a 1966 Johnson seahorse 100 hp. We need a carb!!!!! any help would be much appreciated. is there anything from a different year that will cross over? any reply will be helpful

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 johnson seahorse 100 hp carb!!

If I may ask, why do you need a complete new carb, cannot yours be rebuilt?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

They only made that motor for 3 years, '66 thru '68

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

I guess it could be rebuilt but I can't even find a rebuild kit for it. I heard somewhere that each year 66,67,68 was different. any Idea who might have a kit like that

F_R

Supreme Mariner

try www.sea-way.com Be prepared for price shock. Hey, even if you do find another carburetor, it may need repair also. Why waste money on another one.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

^^^Listen to F R, he's da man!

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

so, FR are you saying scrap the idea and the motor or shop for a rebuild kit or what ?
I might be dumb here but that message seemed a bit vague

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, That wasn't meant to be advice. Just wanted you to know that kit is big bucks. Only you know what the rest of the motor is like and whether or not you want to invest in it. It can get expensive if you have to start buying parts.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

i think what FR said why get another carb and find it will need to be rebuilt....now u have the cost of the carb and a need for rebuild kit...

So FR suggested just rebuild the one you have.....

thats how I took it anyways.....saves you some money of the cost of another carb that may be no good.....

Al

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

o.k. I went to that website and put in the info asked about both carb and rebuild kit. impeller too since it's been a while we'll see where it goes . thanks guys your the best!!!!!!!!!

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

well I received a response from sea-way today and the rebuild kit is $225 impeller is 34.50 christmas is coming maybe his wife will let him order it. Anyway thanks friends for your assistance and advice, it has been helpful maybe now I can get him involved in this site.
Shane

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Considering the age of the mtr, the type of g/c it has (which was okay in it's day) is the mtr worth the cost of the carb kit? There's a lot more that can go wrong with it once you repair the carb. Unless it hasn't been run in 30 yrs or better. Just trying to help.

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

You know your probably right . We (my brother and I) need to talk about that. I'm starting to think it would be like throwing good money after bad. I think saving up and shoping around would be a great idea. Now heres the million dollar question.......Does anyone know a reputable dealer in gently used or refurbished motors in the mountain west. preferrably Idaho. He absolutely does not want to buy from a private seller as we don't know enough about boat motors to know if it's a good deal. any help with this would be appreciated

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

He absolutely does not want to buy from a private seller as we don't know enough about boat motors to know if it's a good deal. any help with this would be appreciated

With the economy the way it is, you may find some super deals buying from an individual, especially if someone being laid off, being transferred, or going through a divorce.

What you do is hire a trained mechanic for an hour or two to inspect and test the boat and motor for you to make sure it is in good shape.

shane ames

Seaman Apprentice

That's a good idea!! I never would have thought about that. I love this forum think tank. I guess it takes a village to raise a boater :)
Thanks!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also go to BRP-Evinrude-find a dealer.com and you might find a "Honest" Evinrude dlr in your area that may have something.