volvo dp290a

mikesmiel

Recruit
Recently purchased this boat and on the first time out noticed water in the bilge.When I pulled the boat found oil/water mix coming out of drive bellow.Removed upper gear box and found hole in bellow.The seal behind the main shaft bearing is junk(u-joint yoke seal)so water got into the bearing.Is this supposed to be a sealed bearing?I didn't see any way to get lubrication to it.Will I have to yank the engine to change it?

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo dp290a

Are you talking about the bearing in the upper, or the one that is connected to the motor. As for the motor, there is a grease zert ontop of the bell housing inside the hull that feeds the 2 bearings inside the housing. As for the upper, it is lubed by the oil inside the drive and if the seal is gone, it needs to be taken apart and resealed.

mikesmiel

Recruit

Its the bearings in the bellhousing.I'll have to look a little harder for the grease fitting.I'm going to reseal the upper while I have it apart for my own piece of mind.:mad:

captmello

Captain

yes, you'll need to pull the engine to replace the bearings. No they are not sealed.

Reseal the upper like you mentioned, replace the intermediate bearings (flywheel cover bearings), ujoints. Good Luck. Let us know if you need further help.:)

Welcome to I boats, btw.

mikesmiel

Recruit

Am I blind.Can't seem to locate grease fitting on the bellhousing.At least its not in an obvious place.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Near the center of the top will be a lone bolt. Remove it and screw a big grease zerk in the hole.
Good Luck Muc