I cut too deep!

Plan "B"

Cadet
I am taking out all the (wet & rotten) foam and wood in my 83 Sea Ray Seville. While cuting out the floor I cut to deep with a jig saw and made a 6" long cut through the hull. I have read alot about hull repairs and see that you should repair the outside and inside of the hull. In this case because the fiberglass was cut (about a 1/16" wide 6" long") and not smashed or cracked, can I fill the cut with peanut butter and then lay up fiberglass over it from only the inside? I really don't want to grind out a bigger hole then fill it back in from the outside.

Attachments

• matts phone 094.jpg
    matts phone 094.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I cut too deep!

After filling it with peanut butter from the inside, don't forget to coat the outside with gelly! :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.......

OMG You cut your hull :eek: obviously ........ yes you can do it form one side but the gel coat repair will be necessary too.

You must have been distracted ;) we Vermont people rarely make those mistakes ........ well I did slice a trailer fender that way when using it to support a piece of wood!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

YOU CUT YOUR HULL ????....RIGHT THRU ?????:eek::eek:

your boat is toast....cant be saved.....bring it to me. :D

happens to every one.
fill with STRUCTURAL peanut butter (milled fibers and mini fibers) ....glass over from the inside with chopped and then at least 2 layers of `1708.

standard gellcoat repair form the out side.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

oops! Re: I cut too deep!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOU CUT YOUR HULL ????....RIGHT THRU ?????

your boat is toast....cant be saved.....bring it to me.

happens to every one.

I'll have you know that I didn't cut through my hull a single time during my restro.
I actually did it twice. :redface::p
Once above the water line, one below the waterline.:(
So don't feel to bad.
Bob

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Thats the sheer beauty of fiberglass boats..Mended there as good if not better than knew..:cool:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol bob :eek:

i even cut one thru last summer while doing a transom removal for a coustomer....and i am supposed to be experienced :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

pic7005.jpg
donotwantis3.jpg

its a glass boat......anything can be fixed !

Plan "B"

Cadet

Thanks for all the replys. I will fix her right up:). Restoring a boat in not as fun unless you cut through something you didn't want to:D.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am taking out all the (wet & rotten) foam and wood in my 83 Sea Ray Seville. While cuting out the floor I cut to deep with a jig saw and made a 6" long cut through the hull. I have read alot about hull repairs and see that you should repair the outside and inside of the hull. In this case because the fiberglass was cut (about a 1/16" wide 6" long") and not smashed or cracked, can I fill the cut with peanut butter and then lay up fiberglass over it from only the inside? I really don't want to grind out a bigger hole then fill it back in from the outside.

Hello PlanB..

Welp.. leave it up to me to play devils advocate..

" I have read alot about hull repairs and see that you should repair the outside and inside of the hull. "

Could you...or Should you ... that is your choice..

If it were me..I would at least grind out and put a layer of mat and a few 1708s on the outside then gel repair.

Buts its me..and I seem to instigate some Heated threads here :) .

Trust me.. Im not saying this to get another heated debate on the subject..its really my belief and trade to do things the way I learned.

Tear or cut..Inside N' Out.. but I think you/we know this.

YD.

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks for all the replys. I will fix her right up:). Restoring a boat in not as fun unless you cut through something you didn't want to:D.

Just make sure to count your fingers after each cut.:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hello PlanB..

Welp.. leave it up to me to play devils advocate..

" I have read alot about hull repairs and see that you should repair the outside and inside of the hull. "

Could you...or Should you ... that is your choice..

If it were me..I would at least grind out and put a layer of mat and a few 1708s on the outside then gel repair.

Buts its me..and I seem to instigate some Heated threads here :) .

Trust me.. Im not saying this to get another heated debate on the subject..its really my belief and trade to do things the way I learned.

Tear or cut..Inside N' Out.. but I think you/we know this.

YD.

Yup....be careful of Yacht Dr........ he is an instigator :eek: and a GREAT resource for knowledge....... I will gladly yield on his fiberglass advice ;)

Get the repair done quick.....the leaf peeper's are a coming!!