Mercury 2005 60 HP EFI cutting out when put into gear.

Max...

Recruit
Hi all - new boy here and wondering if anyone can help please.

Went out at the weekend and after a 10 minute 5 knt ride from the slipway to the sea entrance I gave the helm to my wife so I could sort out a couple of bits and as soon as she put it in gear it died. Re-started it 5/6 times - each time the same - into gear...dead. Would rev OK in neutral though and no coughing/spluttering.

So..got a tow in and while doing this I re-started it* and this time into gear it was OK, repeated a couple of times and still OK.

*(Hard to remember in the heat of the moment but I may have tried to move the fuel changeover switch at this point).

Moored up and the v. helpful boatyard guy suspected the in-gear/no-start safety circuit. Of course it behaved perfectly this time - so, we headed up the channel and it was fine but one last try and again it died. This time with spluttering (fuel?)

I believe this was because we had the changeover switch wrongly set and on the nearly empty tank (twin tank set-up).

Changed over tank and then went out - did an hours blasting and came back no more problems.

So.... are the two issues un-connected or would the fuel running out somehow allow the engine to rev but die instantly when put in gear.

Just not sure if the 'into gear' cutting out has any connection to the 'fuel spluttering' cutting out...the spluttering cut out seems to be a fuel issue but the into gear and cut seemed instant like an electrical issue. It was not: into gear, then rev then cut but virtually instant into gear and dead. Plus it would happily rev cleanly on the throttle lever rev control.

Thanks all for any advice.

Max...

Recruit
Re: Mercury 2005 60 HP EFI cutting out when put into gear.

Can anyone help in any way please?? :)

winja

Cadet

Hi Max.

I feel your pain!

I have been having very similar problems which I posted on here a few weeks ago.

If you follow the link to my thread you may find some useful info as to what it might be that is causing your problem.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2944269

Paul.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are too many variables here. Empty a tank and fill with fresh fuel. Use that tank only and what happens?

Dave

Max...

Recruit

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Paul - checking and reading through your topic now.

Dave, thanks - I have tested all the fuel system and it seems well - I will go out again and try things in the water. Just my feeling was that the cutting out in gear was so cleanly on/off that it was not a fuel starvation problem. Really of course I want to avoid getting stuck and needing another tow of course. :)