Blown Hydrolic hose on outdrive advice

Primo321

Seaman
Hey all, after my first sucessfull trip to the 1000 islands NY with my 69 mark twain with rebuilt mercruiser 140, I experienced a blown hydrolic tilt hose on my outdrive.

I attempted to raise the engine and when it wouldnt give, i noticed that the hydrolic fluid was leaking from the hose, and it sounded as if the pump was dry. To avoid killing the pump I got it out of the water without scratching skiff and took the pin out of the part that attaches the hydrolic arms to the lower unit. Raised the engine, propped it, strapped it to the trailer and was able to get her home.

The line runs all the way into the lower unit and to the pump next to the engine, has anyone ever done this? Is it something I can do? I know the gimbal housing needs to be taken off not sure what that will entail, and i imagine running that hose wont be easy either. Can I get the part anywhere online?

Im just trying to weigh my options out with only so much time left in the season I want to get the boat back into the water ASAP.

I attached a picture, note that it is the hose closer to the transom and I attempted to remove it, thats why its not screwed in all the way, I also attempted a tape job to try and raise it, that also failed.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• blown hose.jpg
    blown hose.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Blown Hydrolic hose on outdrive advice

The line runs all the way into the lower unit and to the pump next to the engine,

Ayuh,... The other end of that line should be at the hyd. manifold, bolted to the very Bottom of the transom shield...

It's like 9"/ 10" long ain't it,..??

haulnazz15

Captain

Those are some beefy hydraulic hoses! Was that an earlier model of the trim system, or has someone used large hydraulic lines with smaller fittings?

Primo321

Seaman

yes it looks like the hoses could be 9 or 10 inches long. When I talked to the mechanic at the harbor I was docked at, he had said they would have to be "snaked through the transom.

This has to be one of the earliest models of the trim system, but I cant imagine they are original hoses so they must have been replaced at one point. Not sure why the one was rotted and the others look solid. I understand the reasoning behind replacing them all but at 65$ a hose, its a little out of my price range at the end of my season, my budget is already been blown to bits resoring the engine, starter, carb, alternator, guages, floor, seat...you get my drift.

I dont believe that is the correct diagram for my engine, the lines on that diagram are far apart on the hydrolic arm, and mind are offset within and inch as you can see in the picture.

I really appreciate the advice please keep it coming!

Thanks

BD

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have almost the same out-drive, 1968 mer-cruiser. There is a junction box that connects the lines to the transom. How ever very hard to get at. Now don't do what I did, which is cross thread the connection at the junction. I ended up plugging the junction and running 2 new lines all the way from the pump. I used hand bendable break lines to do mine. Drilled a small hole above the out drive and then bent the lines to follow the outside of the out drive to where the original ones were. It actually works very smooth. Hardest part was finding the right size of lines to do it. I just happen to be working on a break line at the same time and noticed that they were the same size. I got mine at napa.