1988 200hp vro no spark

timbrittain

Cadet
i have twin johnson 200 hp vros boat been sitting 10+ years trying to get right side engine to start carbs are clean i have no spark was running when parked any help would be helpful

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 200hp vro no spark

Spark plugs must be removed when checking spark. Were they?

Engine must be cranking over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to energize the powerpack. Slow cranking engine = no ignition/spark.

Disconnect black/yellow wire form the ignition switch. If you have spark with it disconnected and not with it connected, replace the ignition switch.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I say the plugs should be in when checking spark. How else will the mtr ever start with the plugs out ? I do agree with the 300 to 350 rpm to get the ign system working. If it won't crank this rpm with the plugs in there's something wrong in your starting system. I still think of the 1976 115 hp evinrudes. Also the spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Boobie...... The reasoning for having the spark plugs removed is to have all possible resistance to the cranking process removed temporarily. What we are checking here is the ignition system and nothing more. Also, this is a safety feature.... one forgetting to remove the spark plug HT leads etc.

With the spark plugs installed and checking for spark, you'll find that not all of the coils will fire 100% of the time, jumping the 7/16" gap, not a .030 gap, thustly resulting in a false reading.

At any rate, after checking the ignition system for the proper spark, one can then go into checking the starting system if needed. It's not a good idea to try to trouble shoot two systems at the same time.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe..... Did you catch my comment on 1976 115 hp OMC mtrs about spark ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Boobie..... Apparently not. Where is it?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I ran my 1976 115 V4 for over thirty years and learned a lot of what I know from Mr Reeves. That includes testing the ignition with all of the plugs out so that the engine will exceed the minimum cranking speed without restraint.

Once you know that the engine will fire, you can move on to more important matters.

BTW, the boat and motor are still running strong this summer.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe....Post # 4. Just jogging the old memory. Clue: timer bases ?

timbrittain

Cadet

update 1 right engine runs now wasnt spinning fast enough cleaned a few contacts on starter lit right up now the left one spins over fine but no fire how do i test the timer and power pack or magneto

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Guess it's back to the old basics again. Does the other mtr spin over as fast as the one that runs ?

timbrittain

Cadet

yea just as fast i still think it may be a connection problem but then again i did notice two legs on the stator had a black goo running out of them like insulation from iside the leg has melted i have seen this before on stuff which doesnt mean failure but doest look good for componet either

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You state: "i have seen this before on stuff which doesnt mean failure but doest look good for componet either".

Wrong! It does mean failure. The stator is he beginning of both the ignition and charging system. See the following.

(Stator "35amp" Melt Down)
(J. Reeves)

The usual characteristic or sympton pertaining to an engine that has a stator melting down is that it will have spark when cold, but will have weak or no spark when hot. Many engines will run fine at first, but after being shut down, then attempting to restart 30 minutes or so later will not start. However, after sitting and cooling down, the engine may once more start and run. Eventually the stator will fail altogether resulting in no ignition/spark even when fully cooled.

This pertains mainly to the 35amp charging stator BUT this problem has also affected other smaller ampere stators. Make a note that the stator on enngines manufactured in and after 1973 are two fold components. There are a series of smaller coils which deliver AC voltage to the rectifier, the rectifier converts that voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery. There are larger coils that deliver AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor in order to energize the ignition.

The 35 ampere stator has two (2) large black coils located (usually) at the rear of the stator. This 35 amp stator runs extremely hot and even though the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier may be in perfect working order, this type stator will in time have what is called a "Melt Down". This is when those two large black coils start to drip a sticky substance down upon the timer base and the powerhead. The result is that the outgoing AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor drops, and this in turn results in weak ignition and eventually no ignition.

If a rectifier on any horsepower engine has failed (keeping it simple), this results in having the voltage back up at the stator causing the stator to overheat, which in turn causes a stator melt down.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

timbrittain

Cadet

well looks like i need a stator for a 1988 200 hp johnson vro like i said the goo dripping down didnt look good

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it was me I'd get a DVA or Peak reading volt meter just to confirm that the stator was bad with no output. Yes if it is melting it should be replaced. But by doing this you are confiriming this is the prob and not something else wrong in the system. Yes, I've seen them melted but they still worked. That's why you check them first.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I assume you have a tachometer on that ailing engine. I don't recall seeing anything pertaining to rpms. If the tachometer is erratic or doesn't function at all, keep in mind what I had to say about the rectifier in my last reply (post #14).

Failure to replace a failing rectifier or water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier assembly will result in a early repeat of your problem.

timbrittain

Cadet

yea tach operates although seems a little bit higher when cranking but u are prob right seems a little erractic

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The melting down stator is still on the engine?