Found a rock... missing my boat :(

mattyboy77

Recruit
Hi everyone,

It seems there was a hidden rock that I was lucky enough to find the other day and now my summertime fun is prematurely ended.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience changing out a bent propshaft on a 86 70hp evinrude.

Is this something I should or could try to repair/ replace myself? Im fairly mechanically inclined and have plenty of experience, just not with outboards.

Is there any other areas or parts I should check for damage?

The LU and shaft aren't leaking fluid, but I'm concerned about bearing, gear, and driveshaft damage.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ive been lurking around the site for a while and I'm very impressed with the cameraderie and information that seems so common here.

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Found a rock... missing my boat :(

I bent one on my 60 yamaha, i had the marina pull it and they took it to a place and had it straitend! I have had no other problems with it, so it can be done! I have taken them apart myself before with a manual in front of me, on my smaller motors, there were a few spots where the right specialty tools would have come in handy but other than that it was pretty strait forward! hope this helps

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Get it straightened. Way less costly and perfectly acceptable. It's not a DIY deal though. Find a machine shop with experience.

mattyboy77

Recruit

Thanks fellas for the quick responses!

Understand all about getting it straightened by a shop.

I'm concerned about trying to pull it myself. It seems from researching online that after getting the LU off, it's just a matter of a getting a c-clip out and then yanking on it with a slide hammer. Is that correct?

Also, what other areas should I check for damage?

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

, it's just a matter of a getting a c-clip out and then yanking on it with a slide hammer. Is that correct?

Also, what other areas should I check for damage?

I belive its a bit more than that, havent done one in a long time, but i remember correctly there is a screw in peice that has to come out. Like I said a manual will help u alot..

as for other dammage i would look for crack in the housing and check the gears and dogs, when u drain the fluid from the lower unit check for metal! that will tell you alot.

A factory service manual will help a lot. I'm currently working on making a working V6 lower unit out of two bad ones, I'm guessing this won't be too different from yours.

Somewhere in the mid 80's OMC quit using snap rings for the prop shaft bearing housing, getting at those stupid snap rings is being a major PITA (I'm waiting for new snap ring pliers to arrive so I can hopefully start making progress again). I also needed a wrench which would fit the splines on the top of the driveshaft (I was able to make one on a water jet) - I don't know what it would cost to purchase that. After the bearing housing and driveshaft are out the prop shaft slides right out.

mattyboy77

Recruit

yea, took a good look at things last night.

Looks like there is a retainer piece that will need to be unscrewed from the housing... I have a feeling that this wont come out too easy. old motor/ salt use are going to work against me here. I guess a torch and elbow grease are in order...Will a spanner work for this, or do I need to shell out for some special OMC tool? Also, are the snap rings holding the shaft in on the inside of this retainer?

My manual is on order from Amazon, plus I founs a used propshaft for cheap on ebay. looks to be in good condition and straight.... Yay me!

Again, thanks for the help. Maybe I'll document this removal for the forum... doesn't seem to be too much info already posted.