Installing 2 Batteries at Front of Deep V

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have any pictures of where their batteries are placed in the front of their Deep V? How do you properly mount and secure? My one deep cycle battery is currently in back of my Tracker DV 16. Thanks.

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Installing 2 Batteries at Front of Deep V

If you mount batteries in the bow of something other than a displacement speed boat, they will be pounded to death in short order. The bow bounces with every wave or wake you hit. The stern does not. That's one reason builders put batteries in or near the stern.

You will also need some very heavy and expensive battery cables to avoid a large voltage drop and you will need a way to protect them from damage that could cause a short circuit and a fire. That's another reason builders put batteries in or near the stern.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is this for a trolling motor? Is that why you want them in the bow? I would still put them at the stern.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well now that you've been shot down twice lets try again:rolleyes:

Use the black battery boxes(you can get them cheap at walmart) and secure them using the cords and hardware that comes with it.

My dad has a fishing boat that came from the factory to store 2 deep cycle batteries in the bow to run a 24V Minn Kota, like all bass boats. The crank start battery does stay in the stern near the motor.

My advice is to get some AGM glass mat deep cycles if you want to do this. They are made of gel and can take the pounding of bouncing in waves all day long.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes they will be for the trolling motor. I only have a 40hp so they won't take too much of a beating. I want to put the batteries in the bow so I can get on plane quicker. I can probably only go 10 mph with three people. I know other fishing boats have them up front, I just didn't know how to go about attaching them to the boat.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

you could glue down a piece of ply wood to mount them too.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put my wet cell battery in the front in a black battery box and anchored it to the floor with the enclosed hardware. I then put these battery cushion in the battery box to soften the pounding of the water.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1
The battery has been in service for 3 years, and no problems. It's a 18' Starcraft. I am also not one to pound my boat to death just to get somwhere fast.

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class

When i purchased my 191 seanymph striper the owner before me had installed a battery switch and put to batterys on the floor of the boat on each port and strbd side taking up fishing floor space. I have not yet moved them but I will be mounting them under the center console so there out of the way and also to add wieght more in the center foward area of the vessel.

With aluminum boats esp I think wieght up on the bow (especailly when fishing solo) is a good thing. I had mounted bow fuel tanks under the casting decks on some of my tinnys and the wieght was very welcomed and did not effect operation in a negative way at all.

i think if you want to mount your batterys upfront go for it! ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been running with my batteries up front for years.
In one boat, the ride was so harsh that my stomach muscles and back would hurt when I really ponded it hard, and the batteries took it.

I made my own battery cushions out of silicone caulk when I had some left in the tube from another job.

For a battery box, I bought a 24" plastic tool box. Cut a hole for the cables, strapped it down, and presto.

Both batteries were in one box, cables were concealed, terminals were covered by the cover, and it took up less space than 2 conventional battery boxes. I added a battery switch for convenience.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of glueing some plywood down. Didn't think of anything to cushion them. What do you use?

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a cpouple of pictures of the bow and inside bow etc so i can give you the best opinion of how to run the wires and mount the batterys to the bow. We cant rely help without seeing what youve got! Just take some pictures post to photobucket then post by clicking on the direct link in the add picture in the post area and by copy and pasting the direct link in photobucket! Hope that all helped some!

LUCKYDUX

Cadet

I too was wondering this and have a couple questions to throw in here...it could help you on your decision as well or maybe you already know. Are the battery boxes just to keep the batteries in an upward position or waterproof or for the convenience of carrying ??? Is it bad for a battery to sit on aluminum or even vice versa :D

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are the battery boxes just to keep the batteries in an upward position or waterproof or for the convenience of carrying ???

The obvious answer to this would be water and protection from the elements.

The not so obvious answer is that with the posts exposed, if you drop something metal on them, you could have a very bad day.;)

rwidman

Lieutenant

Are the battery boxes just to keep the batteries in an upward position or waterproof or for the convenience of carrying ???

The porpose of the battery box is to:

Restrain the batteries from moving
Protect the terminals against shorting
Contain any acid leakage or spills.

Battery boxes must be vented. Charging batteries emit gasses which must be vented.

Battery boxes are available at marine stores and even Walmart and such. There's no good reason to make your own or adapt some other kind of box.

LUCKYDUX

Cadet

Battery boxes are available at marine stores and even Walmart and such. There's no good reason to make your own or adapt some other kind of box.

Pretty sure I can think of a couple reasons but regardless, is it okay to set a battery on an aluminum boat? :redface:

rwidman

Lieutenant

Pretty sure I can think of a couple reasons but regardless, is it okay to set a battery on an aluminum boat? :redface:

The working parts of a battery are inside a non-conductive case. You can set it on anything solid that's strong enough to support it and approximately level.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry. I'm on a fishing trip right now. The boat is getting on plane nice with two people. I have the two trolling motor batteries in the back now. I still may experiment with them up front when I get back home.

fishrdan

Admiral

NO, acid eats aluminum. I made a battery hold-down out of aluminum and it started corroding after awhile. In a perfect world, acid would stay in the battery, but as the battery gets old it can start leaking, not from the case, but from the vents.

For the battery in bow question, a lot of fishing boat manufacturer's put them in the bow. It might shorten the battery's life, but make the boat ride better,,, boat balance.

I don't like boxes as the battery can bounce around inside the box. I used battery trays in my boat, the trays hold the battery securely against the deck. The main problem with trays is the terminals are exposed, but you can buy covers for the terminals.