VP 225D issues

nickzlb77

Seaman
Recently picked up an 89 sunrunner with VP225D looks like a 305 sbc VP drive. Issue is under load (revs clean all the way up in neutral) boat will not rev past 32-3300 at WOT. While turning hard the boat tends to pick up but drops right back down once its straightened out.

I know it probably needs a tuneup which I will be doing tonight. The prop and drive were covered badly in barnacles especially on the back of the prop. i managed to pressure wash about 50% of them off and it made no difference. Also thought maybe the hull was full of water because thebilge has not been working for quite some time but I got it working pumped out a good amount of water and still no help. Was wondering if anyone knew of any other potential other issues to look into. The motor doesnt appear to have any significant misses, has no idling issues she just wont get moving.

FYI's oil pressure is good everything seems to be in good working order, when I goose it quick it does stumble as if its flooding which makes me think it needs plugs.