Switching lower unit's between a 20" and 25"

eppisar

Recruit
I have a sweet running Johnson 140 with 20" shaft. Problem is my boat has a 25" Transom. I recently bought a 140 with a blown power head, but it has the 25" shaft, and is the same year as mine. (1980) Is this a fairly simple swap? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Switching lower unit's between a 20" and 25"

Should be easy. If you've ever changed a water pump, not much more to it. The water tube and exhaust housing need to be moved. Take a look here to see the specific parts involved:
http://shop2.evinrude.com

eppisar

Recruit

Thanks Jim

That's what I'm being told, just wanted to make sure. What do you mean about moving the water tube and exhaust housing?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You will need the longer water tube from the 25" motor. The tube connects the water pump outlet to the powerhead. If you look at the parts list, it will be obvious. See parts # 15 and # 68 on the parts list for the exhaust housing, inner and outer.

eppisar

Recruit

I see what you mean. This diagram also shows a different part # for the steering arm assembly for the 20 and 25 in version ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Isn't is easier to swap power heads?

eppisar

Recruit

I guess that's the question, although it does seem fairly simple to change the exhaust housing(s) and the water tube, and since I'll be servicing the lower anyway........? I'm assuming I'll need to change the shaft seal as well. I believe its just a couple of O-rings, right?