1978 OMC Sterndrive Volvo Penta AQ120B Replace u-joints

chbanta

Cadet
I am trying to replace the u-joints in the stern drive to motor; however, I am trying to find a manual for this so that I know the proper to way to dismantle stern drive from motor to replace the u-joints. Does anyone have a link to the manual? I have downloaded 1964-1986 OMC sterndrive manual, but I am not finding the information I need. Any suggestions on how to remove the stern drive from the motor with ease?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 OMC Sterndrive Volvo Penta AQ120B Replace u-joints

What do you have, an OMC or a Volvo?

superbenk

Commander

Why bother downloading an OMC manual for a Volvo drive? The OMC Stringer drive doesn't have U-joints & is most certainly not a Volvo. Volvo didn't start working with OMC until the mid-90's.

zbnutcase

Commander

WHAT are you working on???

chbanta

Cadet

I have a 1978 Volvo Penta AQ120B. The u-joints are out and I would like to fix this issue the easiest way possible and would like to know what is involved. It is a Volvo Penta sterndrive (or whatever it may be called.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can remove the upper gear case without removing the entire drive. Then you just loosen the u-joint bellows and pull it off.

Removing top box 1.png

Removing top box 2.png

chbanta

Cadet

Bruce;

Thank you for the information. I have done the previous steps that you indicated; however, I need more information on how it comes out. The shaft seems to be holding it together. Do you have the manual or a link to it, so that I can decifer what else needs to be done to get this apart?

Thank you

captmello

Captain

Some guys can change out the ujoints without taking anything else apart. When I did mine, I removed the ujoint assembly entirely to make it much easier. Here is how its removed.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Upper-Gear-Unit-Aq-Drive-Unit-270-270t/dm/*******.055821924--**********.333958061--store_id.366--view_id.317448

Remove the 4 bolts, #38 in the link. These can be hard to remove and have been known to break or strip so use caution. My freshwater boat has very little corrosion and the bolts, while tough to break loose, all came out ok.

Once the four bolts are out, you can remove the double bearing box, still attached to the ujoints, from the upper gear box. Note, there are shims (#20) behind this that need to go back, and 2 orings (19) that will need to be replaced.

Now all you need to do is remove the bolt (#35) and the ujoint yoke will slide out of the double bearing box. Loctite the bolt when you reassemble.

I think thats it, it's been a couple years...

Let us know how it goes.:)