67 Evinrude 60hp a few questions

skylberg

Recruit
Hey guys,

Hope you can help me out. I just picked up the 67' 60 hp evinrude. All I knew was that it was not locked up. I have been reading other posts for several days now and have ordered a manual to help out. I would like to ask a few questions to get me by until then.

What would you do before you tried to start the engine (I am in the process of cleaning out the dirt dobber nests and grass and other misc. stuff that is in the engine. I removed the carb and am giving it a good cleaning out. I have traced the wires down and have verified that the starter works)

What else should I do?

The wiring coming from the engine does not match anything I have found mentioned in the forum. I have:
large green wire that I assume is battery + b/c it goes to the battery side of the solenoid.
A red/white wire that goes to the choke solenoid.
A White wire that activates the starter solenoid.
A Grey wire that goes to the - side of the coil (is this the kill wire or just for a tach)
A White/red wire that goes to the + side of the coil (assuming this is ign hot)
A black wire that grounds to the engine (I assume to use as a ground to kill the engine)

Does this sound close to right?

I plan on ordering a lower unit seal kit and impeller to get started.

Is there anything else that I will need for sure?

Thanks in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67 Evinrude 60hp a few questions

Sounds like you have the wires figured out. Yes, the grey wire is for a tach, and yes the white/red is the switched ignition wire. It is a special one-ohm resistance wire.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but if it were me I would do some more evaluating the motor before doing a shotgun approach to "fixing" it. Have you even done a compression check? I would focus on troubleshooting and getting it running before tearing into stuff like the lower unit seals.

skylberg

Recruit

I am planning on doing a compression test today. I was just wondering if I should lube the cylinders w/something so as not to spin it over dry. would wd40 type lube work?

I spun it over just enough to know the starter works but I don't want to make things worse than they already may be.

skylberg

Recruit

Just did a compression test all 4 cylinders are between 83 and 85 lbs. Is that about right?