1998 Ficht V4 - no mention of Plug Indexing in Manual

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know the E-tec and most Ficht engines' spark plugs need to be indexed, but the owner's manual of my 1998 Ficht 115 Intruder makes no mention of this. The original owner made no mention of plug indexing, just that the EMM had been remapped with a recall.

The engine shows no sign of being updated in any other way, such as having the heads "pinned" (no hex bolt visible beside the spark plug thread hole).

The previous owner raved about the engines performance and I've been using it all summer with no problems. The plugs get coated with black carbon but not enough to foul.

Is it possible this Ficht model did not need indexing?

Re: 1998 Ficht V4 - no mention of Plug Indexing in Manual

If something needed to be done it would be in the factory manual. IMHO, plug indexing is right up there with snake oil. I used to do it when I raced cars, everyone swore it was worth extra horsepower. I never could tell the difference, not one little bit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've worked on fichts since they came out and the plugs have to be "indexed". This puts the open end of the plug towards the injector reducing plug fouling. Your manual may not have the procedure in it but the newer ones do. You may want to call BRP customer service at 1-847-689-7090, give them your model and ser #s and see if your mtr needed any kind of up dates or what has been done.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I was mainly talking about anymore up-dated maps. But then again like Grandpa said, if it's running good, leave a sleeping dog lie.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You won't find any updates as nothing has been done for that series for over 12 years.

tim1198

Cadet

I know the E-tec and most Ficht engines' spark plugs need to be indexed, but the owner's manual of my 1998 Ficht 115 Intruder makes no mention of this. The original owner made no mention of plug indexing, just that the EMM had been remapped with a recall.

The engine shows no sign of being updated in any other way, such as having the heads "pinned" (no hex bolt visible beside the spark plug thread hole).

The previous owner raved about the engines performance and I've been using it all summer with no problems. The plugs get coated with black carbon but not enough to foul.

Is it possible this Ficht model did not need indexing?

I think they started indexing after 2000 models because the excessive carbon build-up at low RPM. You'll be ok, just have to decarbonize more often (once a year is good enough). Having to "index" plugs is ludicrous and arrogant on the part of Evinrude. Why didn't they just spec out that you have to hug your engine after running it every 2 hours? They're nuts.

Good luck.
Tim

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Ever since FICHT was introduced in 1996, the sparkplugs had to be indexed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Seahorse, indexing plugs was from day one on Fichts. It did tell you in the owners manual tho, you "had to hug" your mtr every 1 1/2 hrs not 2.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This puts the open end of the plug towards the injector reducing plug fouling. Your manual may not have the procedure in it but the newer ones do.

I'll do the indexing when I replace the plugs, either the end of this season or beginning of next. Hope it reduces the carbon build up - the plugs get coated with black carbon very quickly after cleaning, but not enough to affect engine performance (though I have noticed some missing - maybe it is time for new plugs anyway).

I also suspect a rich oil condition, that may be part of the problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you suspect a rich oil mixture make sure the oil RETURN line coming from the oil pump is not kinked or blocked some how. This will also cause excessive oil to be used. Should be a 5/16" ID line coming off of the mtr.