Hard to start Evinrude 4 sroke

justafloat

Recruit
Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke outboard. When I bought the boat with the motor the owner said that it was a typical 4 stroke and it was hard to start. I've had other 4 stroke motors (not boat motors) before and thought this would not be a problem. The first day I took it out it was about 50 degrees outside temperature. I didn't think I was going to have a battery strong enough to start the motor. It would just crank and crank, then when it would start, it shut down. Finally after awhile it did start and stay running and would start right up after that. Is this typical for a 4 stroke outboard or is there something I can do to fix it. Another concern I had was that the motor didn't seem to run very fast, Its on a 16' Sylvan and the best I could do was about 7 mph.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard to start Evinrude 4 sroke

Post a model # and maybe somebody can help you.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Most 4 strokes pop off with no problem. Might be time for a carb overhaul. Not a big deal on that motor. I would also make sure the choke is working properly and is properly adjusted. Get a good factory oem manual for your motor and it will pay for itself ten times over.

flintcreek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With your symptoms it is probably the choke not closing fully. I Just fixed mine yesterday and it was doing the same thing. Fixed the choke linkage so it it closing fully and let it set 24 hours and it cranked with 1 pull this afternoon. Before fixing the choke I would pull until I was blue in the face. Not sure how fast that 9.9 should push that Sylvan, that is a lot of boat for that 9.9. jimdd810 I believe has you started in the right direction.

Flintcreek

justafloat

Recruit

Thanks for your replys I'll try to see if the choke is working properly. The owners manual says that there is a prime switch when you turn the key to start the motor also push in on the key to prime. Is this the choke or is it a way to give the motor a little extra shot of gas for starting? The owners manual just calls it a prime switch.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

No that is a primer meaning that it will squirt a shot of fuel in every time you push in the key. This also could be the culprate. You dont have a choke. So that being said have someone turn and push the key while looking carfully into the carb and see if there is any gas shooting visable. Also do a proper sync and lync on it.