head gasket repacement

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1972 120 HP Chrysler outboard and I believe I need to replace the head gasket,after I changed the impeller I noticed on the top 2 cylinders there was gas/oil mixture on the outside of the head . then for the hell of it while it was running I pulled off the plug wires one by one to see if there was a drop in the running of the engine and the top 2 cylinders wasnt a whole lot of differance in running ,just a little. the bottom 2 cylinders you could tell it made a big differance.With the oil on the outside of the 2 top ones and very little change in running whe I pulled off those 2 plug wires leads me to believe I have a blown head gasket. I will try to borrow a compression tester tommorow. what is the procedure on changing the head gasket and the torgue specs? thanks for anyones help(This Chrysler engine has been a money pit but to far into it and I do like its preformance! Thanks Chuck:D

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: head gasket repacement

I believe it's 20 ft lbs.Do you have spark on the plugs?
Fill out the profile.You might be close enough to someone who can help.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

225 inch pounds in a spiral pattern out from the center two bolts. Do it in three steps say 150. 200. 225. Use the inch pound torque wrench if you have one as it is more accurate than the foot pounds.

With a new head gasket, after about 1/2 hour running, re-torque the head bolts. The gasket will take a "set."

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all your help. I really appreciate this site and Jerry and Frank are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!:)