19' Manatee Cuddy OB, Worth Restoring?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looked today (very briefly) at a 19' (I think) Manatee Cuddy outboard boat that seems to be in good exterior condition. The HIN is MNT113210585 which leads me to think it is a 1985. Assuming the worst case that it needs a "stringer up" restoration, including transom core, deck, etc., would the finished product be worth the effort?

The boat is rated for 150 hp max.

I'm looking for opinions and input from anyone who has experience with Manatees in general, and the outboard cuddy models. Overall quality, performance, pros and cons, etc.

My primary use is inshore and bay fishing in southern New Jersey, however, if she cleans up nice and is comfortable, the wife may enjoy her also.

I know this is very little info on this boat, I'm just trying to figure out if the basic boat was a good one to begin with, or I'd end up with a nicely restored crummy boat.

I currently run a Tracker Pro Deep V 17 strictly fishing rig which will undergo some work this winter, so I'll be back with a thread on that.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions.

Kal

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 19' Manatee Cuddy OB, Worth Restoring?

Manatees were good heavy solid hulls. I would think it would be an excellent candidate for restoration.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

During a rebuild like this one sounds like it needs, the original quality of the build is a little less important because you will be rebuilding everything that may have been done poorly the first time around.

As far as hull design or layout, that's totally up to you and how you plan to use it, if you like it, then its right.

Will it be worth it.....if that means will it be of some value when you finish it...no...the only value is to you....if you try to sell it you won't even break even on materials, let alone labor.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

By worth the effort I guess I mean was it a good or better quality boat when manufactured? I have no desire to put a lot of effort into a boat that was poor quality or built cheaply to begin with. I have no experience with Manatees other than seeing some around on the water.
Don't feel like trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Ezombee's comments are encouraging. Any other opinions on the Manatee brand?

Are they still in business? Not much in the owner's forum here.

Thanks,
Kal

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

manatee built a very good boat. if it is what fits you needs, by all means, it is worth restoring. remember, this will be a labor of love, not an investment opportunity. you will have a great boat, that you will be proud of.