license plate location?

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I transport my 14' jon boat in the bed of the truck with a bed extender. With the outboard in the down position plus the bedextender plus the length of the boat, it's kind of hard to see the license plate.

In florida am I required to relocate it to somewhere else when transporting the boat?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: license plate location?

I'm not sure of the exact wording for the code, but the license plate must be in full view (and mounted horizontally) at all times. Your situation sounds like it's going to be up to the officer's interpretation or attitude at the time.

Can you lift the motor and "red flag" it during transport?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Can you lift the motor and "red flag" it during transport?

A 14' boat in a full size p/u gives roughly 6' hanging out and in most places by law should already have a red flag on it. Here anything over 4' out of the truck is suppose to have a flag.

On the licence plate thing, like any other minor statutes unless they're just looking for an excuse to stop you I don't think they would.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you relocate the plate, you need to relocate the light as well. Rear plates need to be illuminated. Doesn't mater if you only drive during the day.

If you need to know the right answer, ask a police officer in FL. I know if you did it where I live, it wouldn't pass inspection and you would get a ticket.

haulnazz15

Captain

I'm sorry, but you would really have to **** off an officer, or catch him on a really bad day in order to get pulled over for a license plate location violation with the boat in the bed of the truck. As long as you have the red safety flag on it, I can't see you being pulled over unless you keep the boat in there all the time and the same officer keeps seeing you around town with the boat in the back.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So if the boat was on a trailer, blocking the trucks plate from view, would you still need to relocate it?

I would take the "in full view" requirement to mean not covered or in a frame.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you relocate the plate, you need to relocate the light as well. Rear plates need to be illuminated. Doesn't mater if you only drive during the day.

If you need to know the right answer, ask a police officer in FL. I know if you did it where I live, it wouldn't pass inspection and you would get a ticket.

But in Florida, illumination of the license plate is not required if vehicle is not operated on a public street between sunset and sunrise nor during any rain, smoke, or fog.

And I might ask a police officer, but I certainly would not take his word as being gospel.
Most LEO's do not know every rule and law and instead of telling you they do not know, they will give you an answer that will be on the safe side of wrong.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

71be9c8f.jpg

We have been doing this for 5 years. Never been pulled over between IL & FL. YMMV

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

But in Florida, illumination of the license plate is not required if vehicle is not operated on a public street between sunset and sunrise nor during any rain, smoke, or fog.

And I might ask a police officer, but I certainly would not take his word as being gospel.
Most LEO's do not know every rule and law and instead of telling you they do not know, they will give you an answer that will be on the safe side of wrong.

That's right, the bulb doesn't have to be on in daylight, but it does need to be located there.

But once again, that's where I live. FL may be different.

Asking the cop was a bad suggestion. A better idea would be to go to the library and look up the vehicle and traffic code book. That's what i did....after I got the ticket and didn't believe waht the cop said. He was right though. It was a $125 learning experience.

haulnazz15

Captain

This law falls under the category of "tack it on when a greater offense has been committed". It's similar to the Oklahoma (and most other states) window tinting laws. Most of the time you won't get pulled over just for having darker than legal tint here, but there's a good chance you will get cited for it if pulled over for speeding.

The license plate law is there to create a standard for license plate placement/visibility, not to bust someone for having it covered due to an infrequent activity (such as carrying the wheelchair or having the boat in the bed).

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

So if the boat was on a trailer, blocking the trucks plate from view, would you still need to relocate it?

I would take the "in full view" requirement to mean not covered or in a frame.

The plate on the trailer would be the valid plate in states where trailers are licensed. Do any states not license trailers?

Glenn

WIMUSKY

Staff member

WI, I don't need a license for my 16'. I believe anything 16' and under you don't need a plate.

As far as relocating the OP's plate, I wouldn't worry about it......

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

in short the answer is no. if you found the world's most upset officer and the crankiest judge and a lousy lawyer they may get you to pay a fine for it but I would highly doubt it. having pulled a multitude of trailers and hauled many loads IN FLORIDA I never had an issue with police stopping me for tags not being seen.

if that were the case manuf would have to make the plate mount in a location where it could be seen even if pulling a trailer.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

Alright thanks everyone for your responses. I do use a red flag at all times. I use the boat about 4 or 5 days a week and it is almost always in the truck, it's too much of a pain to take it out if I am just going to use it the next day.

I've had cops get behind me several times even during hours when they're "hunting" people down (weekend late at night) and never been pulled over. Hopefully I wont in the future either

haulnazz15

Captain

Then I have to ask, why not just get a cheap used trailer for it? Couldn't be more than $200 bucks or so to find a trailer to fit a 14' aluminum boat.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

I really wish I could have a trailer. Parents wont let me have one because there isn't a whole lot of room on our property plus it'd make cutting the yard where the trailer is a pain.

I get by without just fine though. I ratchet strap a little dolly to the back of the boat and roll it down to the water. And I take off the 15hp and roll it down on a moving dolly that I modified to hold the outboard.

Also I don't have to pay to park at most ramps because most of them charge for trailer parking not vehicle parking.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it anymore until something happens.