Don't whant to kill it

Biged007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is not a how fast will it go (I'm too old for that) But in so much it is just that what the question is what would you guys cal a Safe max on a fairly fresh Volvo a 1984 AQ125/270 powering a 18'8" Bayliner Capri rpm that kind of stuff I'm not talking hotrodding but get to fishing maybe a little tubing type of stuff don't want to kill this 26 tr. old girl
Thanks Ed

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Don't whant to kill it

I have a 4.3 Volvo, it stops at 4800 rpm. I don't go there often, but every now and then, on smooth water, I open it up for a few seconds. The wife is uncomfortable at high speeds, so it doesn't last long before I get a verbal assault :D

But you should be OK running yours at whatever it wants to run at. I wouldn't run it full throttle for 5 minutes at a time, or longer, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

These boat engines are generally detuned so that the max rpms are pretty easy on the crank and rotating assembly.

Is that what you were looking for?

Brewman61

Ensign

I dont' see why you cant run as fast as you care to. Assuming the engine is in good condition, has good oil pressure and adequate cooling, etc.. run how you want, assuming you operate within max WOT specs, anyway.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get the max RPM specs and make sure it will turn within that range. Too low can be just as bad as too high. If you can't run within spec'ed RPM range, you may need to change props. Then, "cruising" at 1/2 to 3/4 max shouldn't be a problem.

If you haven't already, you might have compression check done.

You mentioned tubing...I try to stay in the 15 to 22 mph range for tubing depending on water conditions, age of tubers, etc. This is more a safety issue than boat issue. You should be have boat on plane when tubing though.

occarvers

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same boat, same year, motor, and out drive.The speedo does not work but max rpm is around 4500. It will pull a tube without a problem. I am guessing max speed around 35 mph or so. It's not the fastest boat on the water but it is a nice economical boat. A good safe cruising speed is around 4000 rpm. Your up on plane and not running max rpm. Also depending on how fresh the motor is you may want to vary your rpm to help break it in.