Bassboat noob - best trolling motor battery setup?

hotkey

Cadet
Just bought used 16' Javelin bass boat. Its rough and I hope to fix it up and have a few good times in it. At this point, Motoguide 50 is mounted in bow, direct wired to rear stowed marine battery.

For me, the noob, it seems very "inconvenient" to have to open hatch, haul battery charger (automotive???) out of the garage, connect, and watch/nursemaid the process.

Whats the "best way" to mount, connect, charge with "best way" = "most efficient"?

Thanks!

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bassboat noob - best trolling motor battery setup?

Look into an onboard charger to charge all your batteries at once. Just plug it in when you get home from a trip and they'll be charged for the next. I still prefer to give each a trickle charge since I feel a slow heat is better than shooting it to it full tilt. How is the thrust of the trolling motor and are you able to fish all day and still have a strong battery at the end?

hotkey

Cadet

Look into an onboard charger to charge all your batteries at once. Just plug it in when you get home from a trip and they'll be charged for the next. I still prefer to give each a trickle charge since I feel a slow heat is better than shooting it to it full tilt. How is the thrust of the trolling motor and are you able to fish all day and still have a strong battery at the end?

Ha ha, thanks - well I've only had the boat out once for a test drive and the trolling motor works. I can't really tell you anymore than that at this point. Why do you ask?

barus243

Cadet

I think '96 Charger is trying to figure out the condition of the battery that the trolling motor is connected to. I would definitely go with an onboard charger it is the only way to keep the batteries properly maintained. Remember when buying onboard chargers you tend to get what you pay for. Iboats has some onboard chargers that you can look into. http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Batter...4124989--**********.227169865--view_id.216583

I wish you the best of luck with the project boat.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 2 boats that use electric trolling motors. One is a 16ft skeeter bass boat with a 40lb thrust 12v troller (foot control) and the other is a Mako 2101 with an 80lb thrust motorguide 24v (bow mount, hand controlled). IMO the hand control is so much easier than the foot control, and I've been using my foot control for 10 years..

Secondly, 24v+ is way more powerful and lasts longer. I've never had my 24v troller go out on me on a windy day and it moves my heavy CC in the wind no problem.

You, such as I, might be limited on weight and space so you have no choice other than the 12v. Perhaps not a problem depending on your fishing habits, but as others have suggested, you need an onboard charger. If you plan on keeping the 12v, pickup a 2 bank onboard charger, assuming you have a starter and a separate troller. Both of my boats have these things (2 and 3 bank) and the batteries last longer and are constantly maintained. I keep mine plugged in 24/7.

BTW, I have a basspro shops 2 bank charger ~5 years old and the 3 bank minkota is ~ 3 years old. Both work perfectly and are left plugged in year around.

hotkey

Cadet

Perfect. I'll check them out. Thanks again for wanting to help the noob! I'll likely be posting more questions as I stumble along!