Any good lures in here? tips on any of their use?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I picked this stuff up at the flea market today in a tackle box purchase. I normally fish live and cut bait in brackish rivers and out on the coast. Not much of it is lure fishing, for me at least. Trying to get into lure fishing and was wondering if anyone knows anything about some of these. I don't even know what they're all for. Any tips on using any of them?

downsized_0912001219.jpg

downsized_0912001217.jpg

downsized_0912001214.jpg

downsized_0912001211.jpg

ngt

Re: Any good lures in here?

0912001225asfa.jpg

0912001225.jpg

0912001224a.jpg

downsized_0912001220.jpg

scipper77

Commander

those mepps bucktails are great for pike. The black with yellow dots is a classic.

I see a hula popper that is missing it's front hook, the crankbaits you have you will have to try and see. Crankbaits can be funny things as far as what works on what day.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

You struck gold there...umm...wait, I'll give you $20 for the crank baits and jigging spoons;)

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, you got a good deal there. The lures that you have should be good for just about everything except panfish.

ngt

those mepps bucktails are great for pike. The black with yellow dots is a classic.

I see a hula popper that is missing it's front hook, the crankbaits you have you will have to try and see. Crankbaits can be funny things as far as what works on what day.

thanks for the info! Not sure where I can find pike around here, but nice to know what they're for. I saw another one at the flea that will most likely be there. I think the black with yellow dots was on a $1 rack. Possibly still be there next week.

Are Mepps a good brand to look for?

The hula Popper has 2 hooks and the "eye" thing to tie your line to. Not sure what else is supposed to be in it.

Oh, and if anyone has a Penn rool model 712 or 713, I got that gold metal quick change spool in there I have no use for. I'd ask only for shipping cost and a picture of you holding your Penn 712 or 713 reel so I know you can actually use it.....instead of just wanting it :)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I don"t see a bad lure at all.I like the red eye wiggler.I have on old one im scared to fish cause I might lose it.I remember its glory though and am tempted.

ngt

I don"t see a bad lure at all.I like the red eye wiggler.I have on old one im scared to fish cause I might lose it.I remember its glory though and am tempted.

What do you use that type of lure for?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I can only remeber catching strippers at Kerr lake/buggs island and some bass on it.1970s.it has a wide slow wobble and alot of flash,i think the big red glass eyes visible from both sides in cutouts in the spoon give it a unique appeal to fish.dad gave it to me years ago and Ive only fished it 1/2 times since then.i think they still make them,not sure.

Last edited:

ngt

I can only remember catching stripers at Kerr lake/buggs island and some bass on it.1970s.it has a wide slow wobble and alot of flash,i think the big red glass eyes visible from both sides in cutouts in the spoon give it a unique appeal to fish.dad gave it to me years ago and Ive only fished it 1/2 times since then.i think they still make them,not sure.

You think I could use it for striper in a brackish river? I could use it off of my boat with really no chance of a snag, but it may be too dirty of a river. If not, there are a couple of lakes near me that have stripers, but lots to get snagged on there.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

The lure has alot of flash.watch it in the water and youll see.i cant think of another spoon w quite the same action.it may work well in dirty water besause of the flash.we trolled them also behind torpedo type in line lead weights if I remember correctly to get them down to deep stripers.I think they still make/sell them but not sure,check bass pro shops if you think that one is old ,maybe get some new ones. mine looks like its made of brass or bronze where the chrome has worn off.some are hammered or dimpled and look different in the water.i havent fresh water striper fished alot in recent years except the Roanoke river w live or dead shad on egg sinkers and barbless hooks.(required hooks) on any bait there.I think mines is larger than that one judging by the size of the paper towel.some people remove the front hook on hulapoppers and other spitting surface lures for more spitting or bouyancy in less than calm water.Or a big fish ripped it out!!

Last edited:

ngt

The lure has alot of flash.watch it in the water and youll see.i cant think of another spoon w quite the same action.it may work well in dirty water besause of the flash.we trolled them also behind torpedo type in line lead weights if I remember correctly to get them down to deep stripers.I think they still make/sell them but not sure,some are hammered or dimpled and look different in the water.i havent fresh water striper fished alot in recent years except the Roanoke river w live or dead shad on egg sinkers and barbless hooks.(required hooks) on any bait there.

cool. I'll try the Red Eye in the river. I'll give the shad thing a shot too. :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any good lures in here? tips on any of their use?

looked again.the shad looking lure w the dot on it is a bagleys i beleive they work well, reel and pause repeat or just crank steady.the lure w the wide figure 8 metal lip is a jitterbug,reel it steady and youll hear blup blup blup.... it and the hulapopper yellow w skirt popper missing hook, are great dawn, dusk and nighttime bass lures as is the devils horse in there i beleive (props on both ends) these two pop or jerk and pause.sometimes pause for a minute or more in the dark and hold on to your rod tight!!!!big fish are the norm for these lures at night.the lure in the bomber box is not a bomber i think.but they are good trolled for strippers too.i cant remember the name,it might be a bomber it should say on the lure.

Last edited:

ngt

looked again.the shad looking lure w the dot on it is a bagleys i beleive they work well, reel and pause repeat or just crank steady.the lure w the wide figure 8 metal lip is a jitterbug,reel it steady and youll hear blup blup blup.... it and the hulapopper yellow w skirt popper missing hook, are great dawn, dusk and nighttime bass lures as is the devils horse in there i beleive (props on both ends) these two pop or jerk and pause.sometimes pause for a minute or more in the dark and hold on to your rod tight!!!!big fish are the norm for these lures at night.the lure in the bomber box is not a bomber i think.but they are good trolled for strippers too.i cant remember the name,it might be a bomber it should say on the lure.

thanks for the tips on the hula and jitterbug. Can't wait to get to the Lake. Which one is the bagleys?? Which picture and next to what? The lure in the bomber box is a bomber called a "water dog". There was a manual in the box with the picture. Says it's the "deepest diving lure ever made", lol.

BUDDY123

Seaman

Great Find, where is that flea market located? If nobody claims that Penn spool you might try e-bay or craigslist, Penn is a really good reel.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Excellent find! The Bagley's Small Fry is in the last photo under the spinnerblade. I think that Hula Popper is ok, they made a two and three hook version.

The one I'm curious about the name is the one to the right of that jade green crankbait in the 5th photo. It has a paint chip neat the tail. I bought one just like that when I was a kid but I could never remember what it was called.:confused:

ngt

Great Find, where is that flea market located? If nobody claims that Penn spool you might try e-bay or craigslist, Penn is a really good reel.

I was hoping to pass the luck on, but if nobody takes it, I might just look for the reel :) The flea market is in the North Bay in the town of Sebastopol, CA.

Excellent find! The Bagley's Small Fry is in the last photo under the spinnerblade. I think that Hula Popper is ok, they made a two and three hook version.

The one I'm curious about the name is the one to the right of that jade green crankbait in the 5th photo. It has a paint chip neat the tail. I bought one just like that when I was a kid but I could never remember what it was called.:confused:

I'm not sure what it's called, but here's a better picture. I hope this is the lure you're talking about.

bigpic.jpg

gonefishie

Commander

Those look like they were somebody walleye lures or at least did a lot of trolling. If you wanna, and only if you wanna. I will take some of those off your hand for you.
First is the Lurh Jensen J-Plug
Second is the crankbait with the gold/orange belly with green/black back with the black dot on the side.

ngt

Sorry man, but I would rather catch fish than make money. Nothing is for sale. Any tips on fishing any of these lures?

scipper77

Commander

Sorry man, but I would rather catch fish than make money. Nothing is for sale. Any tips on fishing any of these lures?

With crank baits it's all about speed and depth (and wobble). Find the lure that swims near the depth the fish are at. Find the speed that draws the bite. I'm often amazed at how furiously fast you can retrieve a lure and get bites. With my rattle traps I retrieve as fast as I can.

With jerk baits technique is important. Jerk, jerk, jerk, pause...jerk pause.. and so on. These drive pike insane (I know no pike in your area).

For top water, if you are throwing a popper style lure the technique is similar to a jerk bait. A spook style lure you might want to learn how to "walk the dog". The jitter bug or propeller style top waters you can use a steady retrieve. With top water I am also surprised at how fast of a retrieve they will hit. The problem is they often miss with a fast top water retrieve.

I have emphasized a fast retrieve a few timed in this post, don't let that fool you. Often a painfully slow retrieve is the way to go. Maybe even more often. You have to get out there and find what works. Trial and error is in my opinion the biggest part of fishing. If you don't enjoy this aspect of the process you will likely not become an addict like myself.