50hp Force Fuel Consumption

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
I took a 29 mile trip on the weekend with my 1988 Bayliner Capri 1500. The boat has a 50hp Force on it. There were 2 adults onboard, 2x 6.6 gal tanks of gas, fishing rods, tackle box, cooler and miscellaneous small items. I cruised at 80% WOT most of the way (20 MPH) with the exception of getting on plane a few times at which point I ran at WOT.

I ended up burning approximately 8 gallons of gas for those 29 miles. My question is, does this sound like the right mileage for this type of setup? This is my first year of boating and I am still learning a little every day. I never realized how thirsty boats were!

hoofbite

Seaman
Re: 50hp Force Fuel Consumption

I burnt up about 23-25 liters on a 45km trip. I'd say your about right. Of course comparing to mine who knows depends sometimes. But there is no doubt these ol 2 strokes burn the gas.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds good for a 50hp and a load.
The way to check these motors is with a tach.Peak performance is about 5500rpm at WOT.Any less or more means the wrong prop, timing off.Poor compression.
Check the spark/comp.Then the rpm at wot.Post what you find.J

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice

I'm running a 13.5 pitch prop on my boat and by myself, can hit 28 MPH at 4500 RPM's at WOT. With the load I had on Saturday, I could hit 25 MPH at 4200 RPM's at WOT. I know I'm a little under my peak range but I tried an 11.5 pitch prop and it actually lowered my top speed although raising my RPM's by 500.

puddle jumper

Captain

That's about the same as mine at about the same speed. We use about 6 gallons in a 10 mile round trip plus about 3-4 hours of trolling on the same trip. I will agree its not the most fuel efficient way to get around.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i can troll for about 8 hours on a 6 gallon tank of gas, and at wot, maybe 30 miles. i have a 50hp, on a 14 foot bayliner

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

My 50 Chrysler is on a 10 foot go-fast tunnel hull. last weekend I burned 5 gallons in one hour at 5000 RPM and full throttle at 45 MPH. Given that I slowed to turn the thing, I traveled about 40 miles with that 5 gallons. That works out to 8 miles per gallon. but then again, it has a 14 1/2 pitch prop and only weighs about 550 with me in it. Still, not too shabby.

Attachments

• 100_6190.jpg
    100_6190.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

Desertsky

Seaman

I don't know how far I actually ran but I got about an hour of full throttle and about 1-2 hrs of slow running out of mine on a Capri 1400 with me and wife aboard.

One thing i see is that if you are running high throttle and not planing, you will be using a lot more gas. I can get mine on plane at about 1/2 throttle. I don't have a tach on it so I can't help you with RPMs.

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice

I'm planing; though I need full throttle to get on plane and then I can back off to about half. One question, I am just learning about the fuel recirculation system on this motor - ie, the reed valves. If these are malfunctionning could they cause excessive fuel consumption? Also, if they are malfunctionning, could the motor lack power - not cutting out but just generally feeling doggish?