How the heck did I end up here

My67falcon

Cadet
I don't know how I end up in predicaments like this. I guess it is a cross between gullibility and the insane belief that at some point in my life my in-laws may actually prove to be worth a sheet. This story begins with a car hauler and a brother-in-law.

After 20 years in the military I learned several things. One was how to take advantage of the frequent moves. I bought a car hauler many years ago and towed one vehicle along with a few thousand pounds of household goods. They paid me enough to just about cover the cost of the trailer. A few more moves and it was paid for several times. Now retired I find no use for it but my brother-in-law (who works on cars) did. I made a deal to sell it to him for $900. After a handshake and several years I was still waiting for the money. I finally drug what was left of it home and posted it for sale. That got the ball rolling. He was calling me quick to arrange some sort of deal. I said "$900 cash" but he said he was broke. "Not my problem" I told him. Then he said "I have this boat I was working on for my brother but he said he didn't want it anymore". My wife shook hear head as she knew I was a sucker for a project.

My67falcon

Cadet
Re: How the heck did I end up here

So off we go to look at this "project". The wife wanted nothing to do with it but knowing I would never get my $900 and with the damage already done to the trailer from years of hard use it wouldn't sell for that anyway I thought this would be my best bet. So tomorrow I will bring home my first boat project.

She's a 1967 Crestliner Del Rio with an inboard Iron Duke that was just rebuilt with the exception of the carb. The trailer was sandblasted and repainted and rewired with new tires. Seats are in great shape as is most of the interior. The color is faded but then aren't they all. 2 cracks in the windshield at each corner and the typical hazing. Comes with a few inflatable toys and all the necessary safety equipment. The out-drive was just inspected when the engine was pulled for rebuilding and was given a clean bill of health.

With fingers crossed I'm hoping that this will require very little to make into a real nice boat. But with my luck..........................

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

or you could part it out and get your $900 back...

My67falcon

Cadet

It's in to good of shape to part out but if I did I'm sure I would make some decent $$$ from it considering my investment of my old car hauler. I've talked myself into keeping it until at least next spring (that would allow for some lake time)when the boat prices get better.

I've really got to stop lying to myself

superbenk

Commander

I hope that engine isn't connected to an OMC drive.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post pics and put it on the restoration forum. We like watching progress being made on a classic. We would love to see it go from the shape its in to an almost new shape. Then, you have to come back to this thread and post part 3 of the story where you let your brother in law borrow it for a weekend trip and you haven't seen it since but he tells you it makes a nice bathtub! :D:p:D:p

P.S. I have a brother in law also, possibly the same one you have!