Nissan 6hp No spark

Uikira

Recruit
Nissan 6 hp 4-stroke manual start NSF6BS model

i have no idea about this problem but it has to be simple. The motor ran great 2 weeks ago. i just bought it used. There is no spark at the sparkplug. I do not really know anything about the motor. What would cause it not to spark? Could it be the kill switch? It is installed correctly i believe. Just snaps on the button. What troubleshooting options are there?

things i done:

1. replaced plug with a champion equilviant
2. disconnected the kill switch at the motor to see if i could get spark.

again ran fine 2 weeks ago

thanks for your help

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 6hp No spark

The correct spark plug is the NGK DCPR6E.

The kill switch grounds out to prevent ignition when the clip is pulled off. A continuity test should show open circuit across the switch when the clip is inserted. If the brown wire gets connected to ground (the black wire), no spark, "stop" condition.

The newer 6B models have a 1-piece ignitor (no separate exciter coil, cd box, ignition coil), so if your resistance readings are wrong, you will want to replace the ignitor.

Uikira

Recruit

Thanks for the reply.

First all let's back up. I was checking for a spark in a bright sunny area. Later in the afternoon I noticed I had a spark. But, the engine failed to start still.

I tested both the NGK sparkplug---which produced a orange spark?
And the champion sparkplug--which produced the blue spark? I am use to seeing blue sparks on plugs. Can the NGK plug be bad? There is some carbon fouling on the electrodes.

So, now i suspect debris in the carb. I did a quick tear down and flushed it with carb cleaner. i replaced the fuel in the can with fresh fuel. Now I do not know if this was a BAD idea but the motor will fire with a tiny shot a starter fuild. i did not what to dose the motor of course. I hope i did not hurt anything? I know this is a 4-cycle un-like my broke 76 johnson 9.9, So I figured a little test to see if it would fire would not hurt.

I have no clue. I did put the NGK plug back in the motor after seeing i should not use champion plugs.. What is the reason behind that?

So, I guess the next step to check the carb again and again. Got to be the carb.

thanks

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds like you need to do a complete carb disassembly and soak in real carb dip such as Tyme. It's clear that once you have fuel (start fluid), it runs. The spray carb cleaners are typically not aggressive enough to clear the small passages in the carb properly.

Don't use any more ether-based start fluid, as you could crack a ring.

Your old plug may be a bit fouled, so in the end a new one will be best. However, it should still run with the old one. It's usually best to stick with the correct plugs, as cross-references are only approximate.