1997 Force 120 Steering Arm Frozen

msurma

Cadet
1997 Force 120 won't steer. New steering cable 2 years ago. Boat (Caravell 1997 18 ft mid-console) used 2-3 times a year and garaged kept. Disconneted steering cable at moter and steering wheel turned fine. Steering arm is locked and won't go in and out of moter. Lubed steering arm with no result.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Force 120 Steering Arm Frozen

Ok.Something to try.Youll need to know what you have as far as dual system,single system,or hyraulic.My cajun bassboat has a dual no feedback system.Took the "u"off the end of the tubes on motor.Took a wood block and a mallet and,while a person added some"torque"to the wheel,hit the tube corresponding the motor turning.Or in other words,help was turning the wheel in the direction of pulling the tubes inward and I "helped"it along w/the mallet.It freed it up and i lubed the crap out of it w/ 5w-30 synthetic motor oil and have had not problems since.The boat had sat outside for 5yrs and steering was completely solid.This does nothing for shot cables,but if its just Frozen,may just get you going.Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Steering arm is locked and won't go in and out of moter. Lubed steering arm with no result.

Ayuh,... Disassemble it, clean out the corrosion, Grease it,+ reassemble it...

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

***MODS, Please post in the Force/Chrysler forum where it belongs***