Bugs

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started keeping my boat in the new boat house this summer and thought the exterior would be easier to keep clean when sitting under cover. But seems I'm constantly cleaning bug junk/ poo/spots or something. The boathouse does have it's share of spiders/webs which I try to keep knocked down. I didn't seem to have the problem when it was kept on the trailer anyone else experience this? I guess bugs go just like everything else, any thoughts on what it could be?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bugs

Ayuh,... Have the boathouse Spider-Sprayed...
I've got a guy who sprays my places twice a year,...
It's Really cut down on the spider poo...

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been trying to keep up with them by taking down webs manually, no one will spray over the water because enviromental issues. I'll have to look into something that can be sprayed and is EV friendly, they sure make a mess.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Try Clorox Clean Up on the spider stains. Makes short work of them.

NYBo

Admiral

The spiders are there because there is food (insects) and shelter there. Get rid of the spiders and the insects will become more plentiful.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

This may seem weird but I had the same problem in my garage a couple years ago. I finally realized it was because I was leaving my lights on at night. The lights attracted the bugs, bugs brought the spiders. Boy, are they messy!!

Started turning off the lights, used bug bombs to clear the spiders and finally got rid of them.

If this is your case, and the lights are needed for security, maybe going to a yellow bulb will help control the flying critters.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The spiders are there because there is food (insects) and shelter there. Get rid of the spiders and the insects will become more plentiful.

The flipside is that if you get rid of the insects, the spiders will seek food elsewhere. Bob's Garage is right on, if I leave a light on overnight in my boathouse I have a huge mess to clean up the next day.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Catch 22. They appear to eat good that's for sure. Think your right I get rid of them I just have another problem. I do leave the lights on when out on the lake after dark, maybe I can tone those down or put a remote on.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I've been a tech in the pest control biz. for 10 years & now in sales for the last 3 years. There are several things you can do to help keep the spiders down. The first thing to do is try one of those "yellow" light bulbs instead of the white, it will help a little bit. Keep the lights off as much as possible, bugs are attracted to the light, spiders eat bugs, spiders build where there's food. On the inside of the boat house, the best thing you can do for spiders is "foggers", you can pick them up anywhere like Wal-Mart. They are non-residual, meaning they don't leave chemical behind on anything. They will fog out the inside where the spiders are hiding & just dissipate. I've found it's the best thing for spiders because the liquid spray treatments are for bugs that walk & crawl right on the service of where it's sprayed, spiders have longer legs & don't really come in contact with the chemical. Plus, with a non-residual fogger you don't have to worry about the water or chemical in the boat itself if were in there.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Change the lights out to colored LED's. I have gotten rid of every bug with purple LED's. The purple LED's give a great glow at night and more than enough to go in and check the boat. Use another switch with white lights when you need to actually have light. Leave the LED's on at night and go without the bugs. They use so little power, they can stay on all the time and you would never see the power bill difference.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to try the fogging and change lights, hopefully that will help some. Thanks for the ideas!