Need avice! boat sank

skot999

Recruit
I know this isn?t really the forum to post this?but I figure I?d throw it out there and see if I can get some helpful advice.

I bought a 20? Wellcraft with a Mercruiser I/O earlier in the summer and moored it in Wickford Harbor. Last week I hit rock going about 10 MPH ?It didn?t appear to cause too much damage besides bending the skeg on the outdrive a small amount. Well, apparently it did cause a decent amount of damage because I received a call from Safe/Sea that it had begun to sink. From what I understand, if a salvage company sees a boat break free from a mooring or start sinking it?s up for grabs. I?m sure they see dollar signs as soon as something like this happens.

I do have boat insurance (not just liability), however, I not positive that it will cover what Safe/Sea did. They got it before it completely sank, pumped it out, and brought it to boat ramp where I hauled it out last night.

Anyway, does anyone have experience dealing with boaters insurance? I called today(Sunday) and left a message for the insurance company to create the claim. Does it work pretty much the same way as auto insurance? Can I bring it the mechanic of my choice for an estimate? Will the insurance cover what Safe/Sea did?

Thanks for any advice? too bad the season came to an abrupt halt for me!
Scott

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need advice! Boat Sank!

Re: Need advice! Boat Sank!

Insurance should work out the same as auto. What the marina did should be covered. The problem is getting an adjuster out there because marine claims seem to be at the bottom of the list...or it was when I had to make a claim at least. Also had to make multible calls to light a fire under the various peoples a**es. Had to fight tooth and limb to get my boat fixed right even though they had other plans. Things worked out in my favor but have a feeling my rates will be going through the roof when time to renew.